Can't see HDD in My Computer or Disk Management

Badger6

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello everyone.
For some reason my HDD (Western Digital WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 1 terabyte) isn't being detected in My Computer and Disk Management. However, I am able to see it in the BIOS. I suspect it's because I don't have the drivers for it, but Windows is unable to automatically obtain drivers for it, and the Western Digital website doesn't provide any. If anyone is able to help, I'd appreciate it.

Solution
You do NOT need a any extra drivers to use a HDD - Windows has that already.

This sounds like you got a new (empty) HDD and are trying to start using it. What you did not find out is that ANY new empty HDD must be prepared for use by your OS. The two steps are to Create a Partition on the HDD (this creates the disk's Partition Table and defines a specific area of it to be used as one "drive" with its own letter name), and then to Format that Partition (create the File System in that Partition so files can be stored and retrieved). Often the two steps are combined together, and called "Intitalizing" the disk.

For a full explanation and procedure using Disk Management, read WyomingKnott's sticky at the top of the Storage ... General...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You do NOT need a any extra drivers to use a HDD - Windows has that already.

This sounds like you got a new (empty) HDD and are trying to start using it. What you did not find out is that ANY new empty HDD must be prepared for use by your OS. The two steps are to Create a Partition on the HDD (this creates the disk's Partition Table and defines a specific area of it to be used as one "drive" with its own letter name), and then to Format that Partition (create the File System in that Partition so files can be stored and retrieved). Often the two steps are combined together, and called "Intitalizing" the disk.

For a full explanation and procedure using Disk Management, read WyomingKnott's sticky at the top of the Storage ... General Discussion forum here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system

Pay particular attention to his Step 5.

Solution

Badger6

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
This HDD isn't a new one. It has already been formated and partitioned. However I don't mind reformatting it, so I'll try it again. Thanks for replying!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, then. You need to look more closely in Disk Management.

Go into Disk Management. On the right are two panes, and each of them SCROLLS to let you see all it contains. Look at the LOWER RIGHT pane, and scroll until you see you older WD 1TB unit. Assuming you WANT to destroy all it has and start fresh, you should RIGHT-click on any Partition it has and Delete it. Do this for all, so that the entire HDD is Unallocated Space.

Now RIGHT-click again on that space and choose to Create a Partition. I should be a Primary Partition, but it does not need to be bootable since it will only contain data. Set its size as you like, up to the total capacity if you want. If you see options for the Format steps, set them now, too. Choose the NTFS File System unless you really know you need something else. For a used HDD I suggest doing a Full Format. This will test every sector on the HDD and mark off any that are Bad Sectors so Windows will never try to use them. This process will take a few hours for 1TB, so just be patient and wait. When all options are set, let it run. When it's done, back out of Disk Management and reboot to let Windows update the Registry so you can see that unit in My Computer and start to use it.

In older versions of Disk Management, the Format process was a second separate step after the Partition is created. So if yours does not offer Formatting options to choose, just run the Create Partition part, then right-click again on that new Partition and choose to Format it, then set options as above.

Badger6

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I reformatted and re-partitioned through Windows 7 reinstallation disk, that didn't work, but it was the solution. Here's what I did:

I booted up Windows 7 reinstallation CD, and pushed shift+f10. Then I typed:
diskpart
select disk "x" (x is the number of the disk you want to fiddle with)
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs
exit
exit

Then I manually formatted the HDD, reformatted my SSD, did a clean installation of Windows 7 and viola, my HDD was read again. Thanks Paperdoc for recommending that I reformat and partition the HDD again. :)

sohailKhan

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

hi!

well i got an approximate problem like this. i got WD external hard drive (750gb). it works perfectly with vista and 7.
for some reasons, i need to install WIN XP 32bit. initially it was only showing in disk management but not in the MY COMPUTER.
when i right click on the drive in the disk management, it only pop up an option with NEW PARTITION & HELP (there was a third option also but i forgot it). then i tried on new partition and follow the steps until it asks for format which i don't want and not an option for me coz it has all my important data and cancel the FORMAT option. after that i tried some other option(s) through net but n avail.

now it has drive letter G & can be seen in in MY COMPUTER and DISK MANAGEMENT as well but cant open as whenever i click on it, it ask for format.

further, when i plug it in the port, an unlock option appears and by providing password, it unlock successfully but the main drive always ask for FORMAT when click on it.

i would really appreciate to help me solve this problem.

thanks,
sohail.