[SOLVED] Certain Games load slowly or freeze while loading

Oct 15, 2019
For the past several weeks, loading certain games has either taken several minutes, or the game will freeze and require opening task manager to kill the program to restart and attempt to load the game. Games affected are primarily Steam games, but not exclusively. Once the games have actually been loaded, they run perfectly fine without issue. Looking for suggestions to begin troubleshooting the problem.

Games I've noticed in the past several weeks affected by issue:
DoTA 2
Rust
MORDHAU
Apex Legends
Rainbow Six Siege

All games are up to date, my pc is up to date, drivers are up to date, I've verified files on several games no problems have come up.

Computer specs:
Windows 10 64bit pro
CPU: Intel i5 7600k @ 3.8 GHz not overclocked
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR5

The games are all stored on HDD's but they aren't all stored on the same HDD, they're split between 3 separate HDD's I have. So I know it's not an individual hard drive issue.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Solution
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (one tool at a time) to observe your computer's performance while idling, while browsing, while downloading, and while gaming.

Download from Steam and other sites for comparison purposes.

Be consistent as possible, change or do only one thing at a time, give the computer time to "stabilize" between tests. Watch for some other programs that may be trying to "phone home", update, or backup.

Look for bottlenecks - especially during the download testing.

It may simply be that Steam's website is slow.

You could run "tracert" via the command prompt and target Steam's website. Then target other sites for comparison purposes.

Reference...

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (one tool at a time) to observe your computer's performance while idling, while browsing, while downloading, and while gaming.

Download from Steam and other sites for comparison purposes.

Be consistent as possible, change or do only one thing at a time, give the computer time to "stabilize" between tests. Watch for some other programs that may be trying to "phone home", update, or backup.

Look for bottlenecks - especially during the download testing.

It may simply be that Steam's website is slow.

You could run "tracert" via the command prompt and target Steam's website. Then target other sites for comparison purposes.

Reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rt-to-troubleshoot-tcp-ip-problems-in-windows

(Note: you may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website.)

Solution