China Expects to Compete with Intel, in 20 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'd suspect that these computers utilizing Chinese-made cpus will probably fail constantly. :)

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]aaron11[/nom]I'd suspect that these computers utilizing Chinese-made cpus will probably fail constantly.[/citation]

The plastic that it's made from will fall apart and crumble.

G

20 years is like a century in tech terms, when china says they going be competitive is that with current chips or future chips

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I wonder if they will encourage their own citizens to create CPUs in their backyards. It worked out for smelting steel, right? Oh wait I guess not...

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hmm, look what AMD was producing in 1991 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am386
I think this is a legitimate threat though. All China has to do is reverse-engineer all of the processors on the market and they're in business. What I believe China will do is undercut Intel and AMD by making extremely cheap low-performance processors that will ruin Intel and AMD's foothold in the normal non-entusiast market (ex. my parents who don't know anything about computers and would just buy the cheapest thing out there). This can only mean bad because as China starts pulling the rug out from underneath Intel and AMD they will pull their focus away from high-end processors and try to battle China (a battle they will inevitably lose because 1. They aren't countries and 2. They won't be able to sell products as cheap). The next 20 years will be a very interesting time in history in which I will be looking at through my fingers.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
here is the better question. why?

its probably going to cost close to 50billion to 100billion over the next 10 years to make a competitive (the same way amd is competitive to intel, they are close, and may be better in some areas but not over taking them) processor, and even than probably another 10 years and minimum 25billion to match intel, and probably even more time and money to over take them, ASSUMING they can buy the title of number 1 processor.

i see little point in doing this, other than to p@## away money.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]...yeah. Good luck with your junk, China.[/citation]
You know you're talking nonsense - not to mention, if the Americans are so great at everything, then you have nothing to worry about. Sadly, what exactly are the Americans superior in? Please let me know. Oh right, computer stuff right? Hmm...I guess Taiwan (Republic of China), isn't relevant in that field, right? Dude, everything in your computer IS from China!!!

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]You know you're talking nonsense - not to mention, if the Americans are so great at everything, then you have nothing to worry about. Sadly, what exactly are the Americans superior in? Please let me know. Oh right, computer stuff right? Hmm...I guess Taiwan (Republic of China), isn't relevant in that field, right? Dude, everything in your computer IS from China!!![/citation]
Republic of China (Taiwan) is NOT the China referred to here. I am sure you know this very well!

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]cool, that means intel prices will drop[/citation]
I find it easier to belive that Intel will be completely unable to compete with the chinese product because the chinese ones are probably gonna be priced lower than Intel can handle. China is an export juggernaut for a reason you know.

elusion11

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom]Republic of China (Taiwan) is NOT the China referred to here. I am sure you know this very well![/citation]

I am an ethnic Chinese brought up in the west, and I've lived both in China and the west. I want to make a clarification here, while the average Chinese product is of lower quality than their western counterpart, however, that does not mean exclude China from producing high-end equipment/electronics. Just for a fact, China was the third country to send man into space, the 2nd country to invent their own stealth fighter technology, etc, and one of the few countries that did not experience an economic crisis during the past few years – businesses are booming in China as we speak, - I doubt you have any clue of what I’m talking about because you are blinded by your American patriotism, and that might possibly be your ultimate downfall. And if you think everything in China is worth 50 cents and comes out of sweat shops, then you are very wrong. I've been working in China for couple of years and I can say that I make way more money, and way more productive here than I would ever be in the west, not everyone here is in slave labor. 20 years is still a long time, and they have nearly unlimited resource at hand, we should wait and see what China can come up with.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
So in 20 years, Intel will pull an IBM and retreat to the enterprise only sector because they can't compete with the el-cheapo CPUs that everyone will be buying up to support foreign economies instead of their own.

Even China knows this and is going to start using their own processors instead of supporting an external economy... It's too bad America doesn't realize how stupid it is.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think China can pull it off considering the produce so many in the technology sector who end up imigrating to the US. All they have to do is make sure US companies don't hire and further educate their graduates.

christop

Distinguished
who knows whats going to happen in 20 years. Maybe we will have socket implants and we will plug chips into ourselves. O you have socket 2033 you are so outdated.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Invent? No, Chinese just copy (either from Russia or America mostly) and paste. Besides, it's not that other countries can't afford the cost of copy-paste shuttle technology. They don't do it simply because it's burning money! Really, what do China gain except the fame as being the 3rd country to send men to space? You are just a special example of Chinese and the majority in China are much poorer and would have much better lives if Chinese government invested those money in the community instead. Spending money in astronomy is OK but not before improving Chinese citizens' living quality which is one of the worst in the world. BTW, I didn't make any earthquake donation to China as I know the most money would go into bureaucrats, weapon invention, astronomy ...etc instead of peoples who really need it.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
thats so funny, considering everything they sell and do is a counterfeit from the West, that includes CPU. they probably study intel and AMD CPU so much, taking pictures of blue prints, etc... and implement there team to reproduce it and if possible further advance it base on more pictures taken from future CPU blue prints. by hacking their way thru.

elusion11

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bondnumber[/nom]Just so you know there is a small difference between copy and invent.[/citation]

Don’t want to go off topic about steal fighter jets, but highly doubt it was copied, considering the American stealth fighter is highly classified, and it’s nearly impossible to copy it if you do not have access to it. But to get back to the subject, by your definition, then every single processor succeeding the first would be considered a "copy". While I agree that the Chinese are good at copying many things, but the reality is that the only thing they actually do copy are mostly the aesthetics, say the casing for a phone, (iPhone clone that looks like an iPhone, but performs nowhere near an iPhone, because the internal guts are completely different), its highly unlikely for anyone to just "copy" the technology due to the complexity involved, else we'd see many Intel clones by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.