China: In the End, Google Will Be Biggest Loser

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Maybe, maybe not. Either way it was bound to happen sooner or later, either Google was going to check out of China or China was going to boot them. I think China plans on booting allot of companies out eventually.[/citation]
They will boot them while keeping their capital. I praise Google for their action, it is true they will loose more than China, but that only makes Google look more courageous.
The companies that don't leave China before it realizes it does not need as much from the World anymore (because it took America's manufacturing industry) will be striped of their market and capital, and swallow into the government.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]It's not just the US that has freedom of speech, it's almost every country in the world apart from China, with the notable exception of those that are run by idiotic tinpot dictators......just like China...

Neither I nor anyone else in the world has a problem with the Chinese people, your factories churn out lots of cool stuff, I love the movies and the food is great. Your leaders however are bringing down your rep, I mean just how difficult is it to get rid of them? even if you count the whole armed forces (standing army around 2 million people) the population outnumbers them by like 500 to 1, if you just storm them it will all be over quicker than you can say "Japan kicked our butts in WW2 and we thanked the Americans by spending the next 60 years hating their guts".[/citation]
You completed missed the point. FOS is not a natural law like gravity or right like free sunlight and air. It is an idea propagated by a few governments and feed to its people to keep them content. Nazi Germany used racial superiority, Soviet used worker’s paradise, and the Chinese are using classical invention and recent economic growth. (fact is, FOS is only a “right” in N America, western Europe and parts of Asia; a far cry from most of the world)

I am not from mainland China and I’ve been in the US for 15 years and I truly can’t believe how blind most American are to the events around them. American like to learn different sides of the story by checking different sources without realizing that they are still in the same box just reading different walls. Tom’s, NYTimes, WSJ, BBC, CNN, Fox News are all the same because they are all written by people who buys into the same value system. Only when you learn a second, a third, a fourth language and starts to access information from across the world can you actually say you are getting information from different sources. If not, at least check the English edition of Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Arab, Indian news service.

BTW, the Chinese people and the Chinese state are the same thing. The concept of country and government is different among different cultures. I won’t go into detail but attacking a country without attacking its people is mostly a western idea.

kasus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Honestly the point where the internet could be policed has long since passed, any futile effort on the part of governments is laudable. The honest truth is that the US does have censorship, its just either done so subtly that no one has picked up on it (insert paranoia here) or its too ineffectual in the face of the internet hive-mind. You can't stop it and fighting back merely results in its evolution. Info-anarchism ftw!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]You completed missed the point. FOS is not a natural law like gravity or right like free sunlight and air. It is an idea propagated by a few governments and feed to its people to keep them content. Nazi Germany used racial superiority, Soviet used worker’s paradise, and the Chinese are using classical invention and recent economic growth. (fact is, FOS is only a “right” in N America, western Europe and parts of Asia; a far cry from most of the world)I am not from mainland China and I’ve been in the US for 15 years and I truly can’t believe how blind most American are to the events around them. American like to learn different sides of the story by checking different sources without realizing that they are still in the same box just reading different walls. Tom’s, NYTimes, WSJ, BBC, CNN, Fox News are all the same because they are all written by people who buys into the same value system. Only when you learn a second, a third, a fourth language and starts to access information from across the world can you actually say you are getting information from different sources. If not, at least check the English edition of Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Arab, Indian news service.BTW, the Chinese people and the Chinese state are the same thing. The concept of country and government is different among different cultures. I won’t go into detail but attacking a country without attacking its people is mostly a western idea.[/citation]
State and people are not the same thing.
If you think that is true then maybe you should have spent a little time in Uganda under Idi Amin, or in Zimbabwe under Mugabe.
If you truely honestly think that the people in China are no better than the Government that paints a very grim picture for what you think about the people in China.

dangerousthing

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I believe that Google did the right thing in the end.

I don't like the idea of censorship by *any* government or so-called free carrier (such as many university systems in the US). I also don't believe that in the end censorship is really possible anymore. The Chinese government is fighting a losing battle; there are too many advantages to having a free flow of information and ideas even if some of those ideas are foolish and yes, dangerous.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]I won’t go into detail but attacking a country without attacking its people is mostly a western idea.[/citation]
So what you are saying is that the Chinese way of attacking a country is to attack its people. Sounds like they love to ramp up civilian casualties. That's a barbaric practice and you should be ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.