Chinese Tablet Maker May Sue Apple Over iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
As much as I don't think that the iPad is a revolutionary product, I don't think the Chinese company has much of a case.

amd_guru

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
This is total BS...so what the thing looks alike from the front but everything about them is pretty much different. Just another attempt from some random no name company to strike a settlement and get some $$

tat2demon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
How else it it supposed to look? I bet 99% of people that ever envisioned a tablet PC all imagined this look. I know I did about 10 years ago.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
No case. I can hardly tell a Dell from a Gateway from an HP laptop without the logo on the lid, but they don't sue eachother for stealing the idea of a portable computer that folds for easy carrying.

halcyonnn

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Um don't they both look like an oversized iPhone? It seems Apple could go after them for taking the look of their iPhone and making a tablet out of it. To flip tenor's analogy, it is not like you can make a Hotwheel that looks like a Ford F150 without getting the rights from Ford.

To top that off, many of the smart phones seem to have a black bezel and chrome edge. It would be nice if companies would all just make their stuff unique. That costs money though.

G

Have to agree about form factor same = no case but it'll be interesting to see how they get around the name issue. Apple could always change it from ipad to idud couldn't they. I'm sure that name would be free.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
THEY LOOK ALIKE BECAUSE THEY ARE TABLETS THEY HAVE NO BUTTONS THEY ARE ALL JUST SCREEN pretty much lol ridiculous what next a monitor company is going to sue another one because they make monitors ~~~zuzuzu

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
this case might have merit, it the P88 has a strong following they can claim that the ipad may be confuse people into buying the wrong price, this is illegal (conning people to buy a device by making it look like an already existing brand)

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Let me get this straight, a company known for ripping off other peoples' designs and producing "knock offs" is going to sue apple because it kinda looks like one of their products?

If we can't go after companies in China for copywrite infringement (such as with movies, software, and device knock offs), how can they sue someone here in the US?

As far as the patentablility, they would have to have a US patent on a tablet device of specific dimensions and weight, and functionality. All of which would be difficult to patent at this time because the description would be too generic and because of similarities to other devices.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
No CASE! Come on! who cares, no one is going to buy that thing anyway, neither of the ugly twins (jaja)
I rather go and get one of those new same-all netbook that are still coming out as "new" products.
This tablet thing... Visionary my |€@.
I love my MSI U100 ^^

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I really don't think they have much of a case... I mean a company that has made a name for itself by ripping off other people's designs is suing Apple? Give me a break. What did you expect it to look like? It's just a big iphone.

As to why everyone wants to sell an iPad Jane, I honestly don't know. The name itself is pretty meh.. and it doesn't sit to well with many of my female friends either.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]this case might have merit, it the P88 has a strong following they can claim that the ipad may be confuse people into buying the wrong price, this is illegal (conning people to buy a device by making it look like an already existing brand)[/citation]

...except that this company is actively selling iPod (all versions) and iPhone rip-offs. Methinks they'll just let this slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.