sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
i have (or actually "had") a business that suffered huge losses after 9-11... hence, we were forced to shut down in december...

while the business was open, we had a full time "computer tech" who handled all the LAN, WAN, T-1, networking issues..

obviously, he has been let go, and i am trying to see what equipment i can salvage for my other business and what equipment i need to sell...

we have a Cisco 48 port swicth, which was connected to a Cisco 3600 router, and then onto a T-1 for our WAN connection to NY....

i would like to use the Cisco Swicth for my other business in my LAN...

1 - can this be done (i currently use a HP 16 port Hub)...
2 - i think my computer tech "password protected" the switch... how do i go in there and "clean out" the switch for my new use...

any and all help is greatly appreciated.... this forum has been a goldmine for information, so i thank ALL of you who are involved with this forum....

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
1) Yes.
2) is there any kind of reset defaults switch on it? (might be indented, need a paper clip to push, etc.)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you can search cisco's web site, to wipe routers and switches clean you have to hit the break key while the thing is booting, then you have to enter a bunch of funkey commands to reset the passwords. they are all very different for each model. unless the guy set up vlans or did some port forwarding or somthing, you dont need to do any thing. by default straight out of the box a switch is only a normal switch till you tell it to do somthing else.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
thanks for the suggestions...

1 - there is no "reset switch" that i could find...
2 - unfortunately, we had actually set up 3 separate lans, all handled by the same switch, so i guess he had set up some type of vlan... i will now search cicso's site for the codes, but i am assuming i will have to hook it up with one of those "blue" thin cables to enter these commands?? is that correct ???

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
let me know the model of the switch i can look for it too. and yes, you will have to connect to it with the blue flat cable. thats called a rollover cable. you will ned the com port adaptor the rollover cable plugs into. if you dont have the cable you can make one, the wire order is the same, but on one side of the cable you turn the clip side up when you put in the wires in, hence a "rollover" cable.

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
the switch is a Cisco Catalyst C2980G-A

i looked last night, but still have not found the proper info... your help is greatly apreciated.... thx

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I found this page with <A HREF="http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/index.shtml" target="_new">Cisco password recovery procedures</A> and on that page is one for the <A HREF="http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_6000.html" target="_new">2980G</A> hopefully you'll find what you need somewhere in there.

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
thanks.... i did find the C2980G switch documentation...

i have printed it, and will attempt tonight (after business hours)...

but, before i sit down with this switch, how do i restore "default settings"...

i will hopefully be able to "crack" the password and set my own password... but i will need to "clean" out the programmed settings, as it is currently "programmed" for my other business with 3 lans, vlans, wan, t-1, etc...

i once again tried searching the cisco web site, but no luck... i think they probably have some "hidden" sites which the common public cannot access.... hmmmmmm....

or, is there a "standard" commandfor all cisco switches which will erase programmed settings and restore to factory default?...

thx again...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
If you go to the <A HREF="http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/rel7_1/command/index.htm" target="_new">Catalyst 4000 family Command reference</A> and look at the index and go to the "clear" command, it looks like "clear config" will do the trick.

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
TOUCHDOWN !!!!!

it worked.... i was able to clear the password, and then able to clear all the programmed configurations...

the only problem i had was that i had to doo all the steps required within 30 seconds... since this was new to me, it took me a few tries, but once i got the hand of these commands, it was no problem....

AND, i was able to connect my local network thru the switch...

you guys might be able to answer the next level of questions....

i have been reading the different functions this switch can handle... unbelievable.... now i am begining to understand why my tech employees had demanded cisco equipment.... these babies are powerful !!!....

question - i was able to "connect" to the switch using the blue cable, but this required a pc directly connected to the switch... how can i connect to the switch thru the lan from my workstation ???

thx again -

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think you just type ip http *asign an ip* in the global configuration (after you get into the router, get to enable mode, the type conf t). im pretty sure that will do it, the software may be different, and i havent configured a switch in a long time. then you just have to put that ip in the browser and you can configure some things, or you can telnet to that ip.

G

I'm Cisco qualified but my experience is maily with routers. I am only very recently qualified, however....
You should have a "CONSOLE" port on the switch that attatches to the parallel port on the PC.
you then use telnet from the parallel port straight into the switch.
We were doing it on routers on the training program.

Definition
Programmer - Red eyed mumbling mammal capable of communication with inanimate objects.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
mainly the com port is used, its a bit different from telneting. you used hyper terminal to connect through the com port on a switch/router. you can use telnet but only after there is an ip assigned. are you taking the 4 semester cisco academy course? i just finished that in november. are you going to take the ccna?

G

I am CCNA and MCP qualified but I'm a bit rusty on the Cisco stuff.
I took the exam back in august last year but I was fresh out of college, no experience so could not get a job in networking.
I have been working as a helpdesk tech for home users of TIME and TINY computer systems in the UK. I actually finish tommorow to go to a network support job.
I actually realise now that it is hyperterminal from a com port now and telnet going over the network. Like I said i'm a bit rusty but hopefully things should improve.
Definition
Programmer - Red eyed mumbling mammal capable of communication with inanimate objects.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by saxo_furio on 03/21/02 06:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS