Question Clock speeds halving when playing Darks Souls 3 and Rainbow 6

Jul 15, 2020
When playing DS3 and R6 my GPU clock speeds are being halved when playing. I have spent multiple days trying to figure this out with minimal success. I have:

Installed both games on multiple different drives to see if that would solve anything but to no avail(NVME m.2, SATA SSD, and HDD), verified the integrity of game files on steam, disabled discord overlay, stopped all instances of google chrome and firefox, used DDU to reinstall drivers, fresh installed windows, switched to my old GPU using DDU(rx 580 8gb), and installed older drivers on my 2070 and my 580 but that also did not work. These are the only two game that I know of that do this.

The only troubleshooting that has made an actual impact has been disabling ULPS which has made me keep the clock speeds from dropping for about 15 seconds. As of now I am using my RX 580 and sent my rtx 2070S in for an RMA, but since I am having the same issues on this card if I can fix them on this card I can do the same on my 2070 when it returns.

GPU temps are at 67-69C, my bios is on the latest version, and my psu is a 650W 80+ Gold.

Video example: View: http://imgur.com/gallery/vWzo5gQ

Jun 6, 2020
I'm sure others will have better suggestions but I would try to open the case up and place a small but powerful oscillating style fan fixed directly at the GPU. See if you get Temps down to 60 if that makes a difference. I agree that 65 to 69 seems fine and everything I do runs hotter than that...but maybe it will make a difference.

What Temps are CPU cores at?

Jul 15, 2020
Also make sure to cool off the SSD or like I said just cool off the whole thing and see if that makes a difference. Do you have thermal compound or thermal pad between the SSD and heatsink?
My CPU temps are fine around 60/70c. I don't know if I have a thermal pads between the ssd and heat sink. But, I've tried installing this game on 2 other drives (m.2 and disk drive) with no success.

Jun 6, 2020
You've done a good job proving it is not likely a hardware issue.

Try different iGPU drivers...perhaps try the Intel /AMD ones from their website, then try Driver Booster and try the motherboard vendor drivers too. If none of that works try to disable the iGPU in BIOS.

Run DX9,10,11 Web installer to see if it's a DX issue.

Try to run the game in Run As Administrator.

Use CCleaner to disable all the system startup programs and utilities . Can you disable something to gain less of a frame drop.

Figure out what is common to both games...same resolution or same direct x minor version11.2 vs. 11.0 vs. 12.0.

Can you try the GPU in a different PCIe slot?

Jul 15, 2020
You've done a good job proving it is not likely a hardware issue.

Try different iGPU drivers...perhaps try the Intel /AMD ones from their website, then try Driver Booster and try the motherboard vendor drivers too. If none of that works try to disable the iGPU in BIOS.

Run DX9,10,11 Web installer to see if it's a DX issue.

Try to run the game in Run As Administrator.

Use CCleaner to disable all the system startup programs and utilities . Can you disable something to gain less of a frame drop.

Figure out what is common to both games...same resolution or same direct x minor version11.2 vs. 11.0 vs. 12.0.

Can you try the GPU in a different PCIe slot?
I can try doing what you listed. I have not tried another pcie slot yet. I'll test that out and see what happens