Question Cloning from hdd to SSD help

darkom1973

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
I need info on what app i should use, what to do before etc. I know its trivial but i dont want to frick up something
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1TB (2016 model)
SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB
And im sure everything will fit into the ssd

People with WD Drives can install/use a free version of Acronis True Image that's pretty darn nice....

Prepare Win10 USB isntaller media in case something goes wrong...

WIth a fast SSD, a full WIn10 reinstall is but a 5 minute affair....it's reinstalling everything else that's the only real 'time pain', but, this goes by much quicker if you have a detailed list of all your apps, and, if you have the available storage space, the installers pre-downloaded on a secondary drive...

darkom1973

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
I dont want to reinstall anything, i just want to clone everything and delete the HDD afterwards, i already tried cloning but it went sideways and was lucky i recovered, theres 570GB free on the HDD so like i said im sure it will fit

darkom1973

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
I also used the app WD gave me (acronis) and it went wrong, it was copying partitions for like half an hour with it still being 5 of 6 partitions, after it completed it, the PC shutdown and after that it went straight to insert proper boot device, i thank god recovered from that

USAFRet

Titan
I dont want to reinstall anything, i just want to clone everything and delete the HDD afterwards, i already tried cloning but it went sideways and was lucky i recovered, theres 570GB free on the HDD so like i said im sure it will fit
Given certain conditions, we can do this.
However, questions are asked for a reason.

How much actual space is consumed on your current drive?
Please post a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

Desktop or laptop?
Which OS is this?

darkom1973

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
No you dont get it, the PC turns on normally from the HDD, but not from the SSD which had the botched clone, the data can be acessed if booted from hdd , should i just delete everything from the SSD and do the cloning again?

USAFRet

Titan
No you dont get it, the PC turns on normally from the HDD, but not from the SSD which had the botched clone, the data can be acessed if booted from hdd , should i just delete everything from the SSD and do the cloning again?
If you remove the SSD, the system boots up and operates as it did before?
It seems so.

Assuming that is the case, redo the clone operation.

The questions I asked initially are relevant to the whole cloning operation. Sizes, consumed space, etc...

Given a 500GB SSD, your actual consumed space needs to be below 400GB.
If that is the case...

Before you hit the GO button to clone, Macrium will give you the option to DELETE all existing partitions on the target drive. Do that, and then proceed.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.