[SOLVED] Cloning games from HDD to Sata SSD.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Im getting a 1tb sata ssd soon. I'm gonna use it for mostly for storing games and mods for them. Is it safe to clone the HDD i have my games on currently to the SSD without problems? A few of the games are heavily modded. Was also curious since cloning works by copying the exact sectors of the drive to the other how will that affect the SSD? And will everything work after?
Am not cloning windows btw.

My storage units are:
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Hard Drive#2: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB
Hard Drive#3: Seagate Momentus 120GB (This is just a backup drive I use for a few apps just ignore)
Solid State Drive#4: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

New SSD Unit: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD

Which drive I plan on cloning: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB (249GB used already) ---> Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD

Solution
Cloning should work fine as should a simple copy paste but there are always exceptions as in games that will have paths hardcoded so a change in drive letter will mess them up.
If you swap drive letters afterwards it should be good for almost every game though.
Cloning should work fine as should a simple copy paste but there are always exceptions as in games that will have paths hardcoded so a change in drive letter will mess them up.
If you swap drive letters afterwards it should be good for almost every game though.

Solution
cloning should work fine - better in most cases as it preserves anything that might be encrypted or interpreted as whitespace
so it's often the better choice. just make sure the SSD replaces the Scorpio is drive letter after all changes as prev poster mentioned.

Im getting a 1tb sata ssd soon. I'm gonna use it for mostly for storing games and mods for them. Is it safe to clone the HDD i have my games on currently to the SSD without problems? A few of the games are heavily modded. Was also curious since cloning works by copying the exact sectors of the drive to the other how will that affect the SSD? And will everything work after?
Am not cloning windows btw.

My storage units are:
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Hard Drive#2: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB
Hard Drive#3: Seagate Momentus 120GB (This is just a backup drive I use for a few apps just ignore)
Solid State Drive#4: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

New SSD Unit: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD

Which drive I plan on cloning: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB (249GB used already) ---> Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD