[SOLVED] cloning hard drive to ssd

Dec 26, 2019
When cloning my windows 10 HDD to my new 1TB SSD, everything went all fine and it worked.

My question is in file explorer it is showing 2 hard drives C and D, both around 200Gb which is normal on how much space I used up in the 500gb HDD and I am wondering are they my SSD? Also my old hard drive of 500gb is still connected to the computer. When I looked disk management it is showing both the HDD and SSD are both online. I need help with knowing what partitions I can delete and not delete as I want to keep Windows.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
One of those is the new drive one of those is the old drive.

At the end of the cloning process, you needed to power off, disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.

Do that now.
And open Disk Management with only the new drive connected. You'll be able to tell which drive it is. Disk 0 or Disk 1, for instance.

Later, reconnect the old drive and delete all partitions on it.

USAFRet

Titan

At the end of the cloning process, you needed to power off, disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.

Do that now.
And open Disk Management with only the new drive connected. You'll be able to tell which drive it is. Disk 0 or Disk 1, for instance.

Solution
Dec 26, 2019

Do that now.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. So I did that and it still shows 200GB free of 464GB even though it should be out of 930GB approx

Can I show pictures of it to you somehow?

My guess is that the 1 TB SSD has half of its space unallocated as a result of the cloning from the 500 GB HDD. If so, you can use Disk Management to expand the space on the SSD so that you can access it. Alternatively you could assign a new drive letter to that space and have 2 partitions on the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
My guess is that the 1 TB SSD has half of its space unallocated as a result of the cloning from the 500 GB HDD. If so, you can use Disk Management to expand the space on the SSD so that you can access it. Alternatively you could assign a new drive letter to that space and have 2 partitions on the SSD.
Probably.
A screencap will confirm, and we can move on from there.