[SOLVED] Coil whine from both PSU and GPU when overclocking.

Jan 15, 2020
I noticed that when running a stress test on MSI AfterburnerI would hear a very audible coil whine. I could not determine if it was the GPU or PSU so I removed the PSU from the case and separated both PSU and GPU. I ran Afterburner once more and noticed that coil whine was being produced from both the psu and the gpu. I tried a different PSU and I still get coil whine from both. Are both my PSU and GPU defective? Or just one or the other? I need help. I have a Corsair CX650M psu and an MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus 8gb gpu

Solution
This may help - you have to turn the volume up to hear the sound clips though.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXAuIJchps

The short of it is: Without having to change your hardware, turn on Fast Sync in Nvidia Control Panel. Also, some manufacturers don't see coil whine as a defect, so the warranty route may prove ineffective.

The 2070 Super Ventus OC has next to no overclocking headroom. It's already factory overclocked, plus the power limit is capped at 215w(can't even raise the power slider on Afterburner) out the gate, unlike with their other models: Msi 2070 Super

Corsair's CXM also may not have been the greatest pairing - certainly not the worst - with the 2070 Super.
It's a...
Jan 15, 2020
Coil whine is not a "defect". It's certainly not uncommon for 2070Supers - at least, when driving high framerates (think 300+ in a menu or something).

What are you doing at the time the whine starts up/gets noticeable?
It's noticeable at any framerate. But I don't understand why both the gpu and psu are producing coil whine. I understand that rtx's are prone to it, but is it common for both gpu and psu to suffer from it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This may help - you have to turn the volume up to hear the sound clips though.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXAuIJchps

The short of it is: Without having to change your hardware, turn on Fast Sync in Nvidia Control Panel. Also, some manufacturers don't see coil whine as a defect, so the warranty route may prove ineffective.

The 2070 Super Ventus OC has next to no overclocking headroom. It's already factory overclocked, plus the power limit is capped at 215w(can't even raise the power slider on Afterburner) out the gate, unlike with their other models: Msi 2070 Super

Corsair's CXM also may not have been the greatest pairing - certainly not the worst - with the 2070 Super.
It's a decent psu, but still on the budget side of the company's psu line.
[Simple version] VS > CX > TX > RX > HX > AX.

Solution