Question Coil Whine - GPU (GeForce RTX 2060)

Dec 28, 2020
On 10 November I have build my new Game PC, until today I never heard any noise "coil whine" from my GPU (MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC).

Everytime I start a game it's making noise, while idle it's quiet. I checked HWMonitor and when the GPU is 0,725 V it's quiet, when it goes to 1,050 V it's making noise "coil whine".

I installed a new monitor today (MSI Optix MAG272QP) but I don't think that's the problem because I already checked playing games without the new monitor plugged in and it is still making a noise while playing games.

Specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7 10700K
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3600
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W
Cooler: Noctue NH-U12S
Storage: Samung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

I hope someone can explain the problem here and if it's fixable, and give me some advise if I should return my GPU because I still have 34 months guarantee left.

Well...as you probably know....coil whine is a phenomenon that's pretty normal....and generally not warranty-able (as far as I know but you could always try).

What may have happened...I've seen in some cases...manufacturers use hot glue to keep coils from whining...perhaps the hot glue came loose.

Regardless...as far as I know there generally is no standard "fix" unless you can find the coil that's whining and stop it with hot glue or something similar.

Many times....people just deal with it.