Question Coil Whine - GPU (GeForce RTX 2060)

Dec 28, 2020
On 10 November I have build my new Game PC, until today I never heard any noise "coil whine" from my GPU (MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC).

Everytime I start a game it's making noise, while idle it's quiet. I checked HWMonitor and when the GPU is 0,725 V it's quiet, when it goes to 1,050 V it's making noise "coil whine".

I installed a new monitor today (MSI Optix MAG272QP) but I don't think that's the problem because I already checked playing games without the new monitor plugged in and it is still making a noise while playing games.

Specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7 10700K
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3600
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W
Cooler: Noctue NH-U12S
Storage: Samung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

I hope someone can explain the problem here and if it's fixable, and give me some advise if I should return my GPU because I still have 34 months guarantee left.

Well...as you probably know....coil whine is a phenomenon that's pretty normal....and generally not warranty-able (as far as I know but you could always try).

What may have happened...I've seen in some cases...manufacturers use hot glue to keep coils from whining...perhaps the hot glue came loose.

Regardless...as far as I know there generally is no standard "fix" unless you can find the coil that's whining and stop it with hot glue or something similar.

Many times....people just deal with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts