Question Coil whine or something else?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
On my PC I can hear a very faint static noise that is tough to pinpoint where its coming from. It's almost like the noise you hear when you put a disc in a games console or hard drive trying to read data. A small "zzz-zz-zz" noise.

I would post a video but its not audible through phone. Could this be coil whine or is coil whine a continuous sound?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
So I just used the cardboard to find out where its come from and it was loudest at the back of my cpu, could it be airbubbles? Temperatures are fine though

So I just used the cardboard to find out where its come from and it was loudest at the back of my cpu, could it be airbubbles? Temperatures are fine though
No - airbubbles? That's a new for me.

My guess is that the onboard voltage regulator (CPU require quite an amount of power using voltage that the PSU doesn't provide directly) that cause coil whine. There is not much you can do about the issue, unfortunately.

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
No - airbubbles? That's a new for me.

My guess is that the onboard voltage regulator (CPU require quite an amount of power using voltage that the PSU doesn't provide directly) that cause coil whine. There is not much you can do about the issue, unfortunately.

Thanks for the response, hopefully that is this the case. This is my first PC so was just concerned if it was something that would kill my motherboard or CPU.