jeremy.p.dykes

Honorable
Nov 11, 2017
Hi - seeking some help on combining SSD and partition onto a new SSD.

Currently:
  • 80GB SSD with Windows 10 boot (C:)
  • 400GB programs partition on 1TB disk (D:)

I'm moving to a 1TB SSD to run OS and programs plus space for scratch image editing plus 1+3TB for storage.

Question:
  • How do I best move OS & Programs to new disk?
  • Would I be better with partition on the SSD for OS (imaged from current C:), and separate for programs (imaged from current D:)

Welcome any thoughts!

Solution

Currently:
I'm moving to a 1TB SSD to run OS and programs plus space for scratch image editing plus 1+3TB for storage.

Question:
  • Would I be better with partition on the SSD for OS (imaged from current C:), and separate for programs (imaged from current D:)
Welcome any thoughts!

Options:

1. Clean install on the new drive. OS, drivers, applications, everything.
Guaranteed to work, more work to get there.

2. A merged clone with 2 partitions on the target drive.
One partition for the existing C drive, a...

popatim

Titan
The recommended way is to fully reinistall everything to the new SSD.

The quick way would be to clone the Boot drive to the New SSD , expanding the main partition if desired. Then create another partition in the remainder of the SSD and copy in the stuff from the HDD. Power off, remove the old HDD, Power on, and give the partition the same drive letter and name as the old HDD. Save the old HDD in case...

But before you begin down this journey, unplug your HDD and make sure your SSD can boot up by itself.
And you also want to image/backup your old SSD in case things go wrong.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

Currently:

Question:
Welcome any thoughts!

Options:

1. Clean install on the new drive. OS, drivers, applications, everything.
Guaranteed to work, more work to get there.

2. A merged clone with 2 partitions on the target drive.
One partition for the existing C drive, a second partition that would need to end up as D for what exists on the current D drive.
Not recommended. Splitting programs out into a different drive or partition just ends up as a hassle.

Clone trhe contents of the 80GB SSD to the new drive. At the end of this, make that C partition 200GB or larger.
Copy or clone the 400GB contents of the other drive to the remaming space on the new SSD.

And as mentioned above, verufy that the system will actually boot from the current SSD by itself.

Personally, I would go with a clean install on the new drive. OS applications, everything.
One single partition.

Solution