user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hello,
Every time I type a command into the command prompt it says that is not a
valid command...for example

C:\Documents and Settings\Adiel>CHKDSK
'CHKDSK' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

That is for every command even "help" command the only command it recognizes
is EXIT...Can somebody help me solve this problem
I am running Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition SP2
--
Δ � į Σ Γ

Byte

What are you typing? Just go to:
Start/Run/type CHKDSK and click OK
If you want the Command Prompt - type CMD and click OK.

"Δ � į Σ Γ" wrote:

> Hello,
> Every time I type a command into the command prompt it says that is not a
> valid command...for example
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Adiel>CHKDSK
> 'CHKDSK' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> That is for every command even "help" command the only command it recognizes
> is EXIT...Can somebody help me solve this problem
> I am running Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition SP2
> --
> Δ � į Σ Γ

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I know that byte but the command prompt wont accept any command I type it says
'[name of command]' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

"Byte" wrote:

> What are you typing? Just go to:
> Start/Run/type CHKDSK and click OK
> If you want the Command Prompt - type CMD and click OK.
>
> "Δ � į Σ Γ" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Every time I type a command into the command prompt it says that is not a
> > valid command...for example
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Adiel>CHKDSK
> > 'CHKDSK' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
> >
> > That is for every command even "help" command the only command it recognizes
> > is EXIT...Can somebody help me solve this problem
> > I am running Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition SP2
> > --
> > Δ � į Σ Γ

Instead of entering just chkdsk try entering the full path like
this (as long as Windows is installed on your C drive):

C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe

If that works then you need to check the Path entries.
Type Path in the command prompt window and see if it starts with
the following items:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;

Here's an article that provides more information on this. Read it
before you take any actions.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1111085985
--
Nepatsfan
"? Ð i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know that byte but the command prompt wont accept any command
>I type it says
> '[name of command]' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command,
> operable program or batch file
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
>> What are you typing? Just go to:
>> Start/Run/type CHKDSK and click OK
>> If you want the Command Prompt - type CMD and click OK.
>>
>> "Δ � į Σ Γ" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > Every time I type a command into the command prompt it says
>> > that is not a
>> > valid command...for example
>> >
>> > C:\Documents and Settings\Adiel>CHKDSK
>> > 'CHKDSK' is not recognized as an internal or external
>> > command,
>> > operable program or batch file.
>> >
>> > That is for every command even "help" command the only
>> > command it recognizes
>> > is EXIT...Can somebody help me solve this problem
>> > I am running Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition SP2
>> > --
>> > Δ � į Σ Γ

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...

PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\

Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making problems, those
with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing the problem?

"? Ð ? ? ?" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>Every time I type a command into the command prompt it says that is not a
>valid command...for example
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\Adiel>CHKDSK
>'CHKDSK' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>operable program or batch file.
>
>That is for every command even "help" command the only command it recognizes
>is EXIT...Can somebody help me solve this problem
>I am running Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition SP2

How are you getting to the Command Prompt?
- Using Start - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt?
- Using Start - Run - CMD?
- Using Start - Run - COMMAND.COM?

When you are in the command prompt window enter the following command:

SET

What does it show for the PATH?

The answers to these questions will help to resolve the problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

When you say "everything is ok", does that mean that when you
enter the full path of the command it executes? In other words,
typing C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe at a command prompt runs
the progam?

Your Path looks OK as long as %SYSTEMROOT% is pointing to the
correct location. Try the following:

Open a command prompt window.
Copy and paste the following at the prompt and hit enter.
Set > C:\SET.txt
Now find the SET.txt file on your C drive and open it in Notepad.
Towards the bottom look for these two entries
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
Are they pointing to the correct locations?

What program is located at C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32 ? See if you
can find out anything about this folder.

--
> Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...
>
> PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
>
> Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making
> problems, those
> with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing
> the problem?
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Instead of entering just chkdsk try entering the full path
>> like
>> this (as long as Windows is installed on your C drive):
>>
>> C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe
>>
>> If that works then you need to check the Path entries.
>> Type Path in the command prompt window and see if it starts
>> with
>> the following items:
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
>>
>> Here's an article that provides more information on this. Read
>> it
>> before you take any actions.
>>
>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1111085985
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I know that byte but the command prompt wont accept any
>> >command
>> >I type it says
>> > '[name of command]' is not recognized as an internal or
>> > external command,
>> > operable program or batch file

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Nepatsfan the two entries are showing what they are supposed to be showing
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
and about this folder "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32" I found out that it doesn't
exist...any other ideas...do you think that the folder "C:\PROGRAM
FILES\WSG32" is causing any problems because it doesn't exist?
Nepatsfan you have been good help so far, I thank you for that

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> When you say "everything is ok", does that mean that when you
> enter the full path of the command it executes? In other words,
> typing C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe at a command prompt runs
> the progam?
>
> Your Path looks OK as long as %SYSTEMROOT% is pointing to the
> correct location. Try the following:
>
> Open a command prompt window.
> Copy and paste the following at the prompt and hit enter.
> Set > C:\SET.txt
> Now find the SET.txt file on your C drive and open it in Notepad.
> Towards the bottom look for these two entries
> SystemDrive=C:
> SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
> Are they pointing to the correct locations?
>
> What program is located at C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32 ? See if you
> can find out anything about this folder.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...
> >
> > PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> > FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> > LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
> >
> > Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making
> > problems, those
> > with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing
> > the problem?
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> Instead of entering just chkdsk try entering the full path
> >> like
> >> this (as long as Windows is installed on your C drive):
> >>
> >> C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe
> >>
> >> If that works then you need to check the Path entries.
> >> Type Path in the command prompt window and see if it starts
> >> with
> >> the following items:
> >>
> >> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
> >>
> >> Here's an article that provides more information on this. Read
> >> it
> >> before you take any actions.
> >>
> >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1111085985
> >> --
> >> Nepatsfan
> >> "? � i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I doubt that the C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32 entry is the cause of
your problem. I asked because it raises the possibility that a
program installed on your machine is overriding the Path.

If there's another user account on your computer, log on with
that account and see if the problem happens for that user. If
yours is the only account on the PC, then you'll have to start in
Safe Mode and logon with the built-in Administrator account to do
this test.

To start in Safe Mode, do the following:
After you see the BIOS screen, start tapping the F8 key.
Once the boot options menu appears select "Start in Safe Mode"
and hit Enter.
Make sure you log on with the Administrator account.
Open a command prompt window and enter a command.
What happens?
Are you getting the same error message?

Next, restart your PC and boot normally.
Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click on the Environmental Variables button.
In the top section, "User variables for...", are there any
entries for Path and/or Pathext?

Post back with answers to the questions I've asked here.
First, is it only your account that has this problem?
Second, what information is entered in the "User variables" box?

--
> Nepatsfan the two entries are showing what they are supposed to
> be showing
> SystemDrive=C:
> SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
> and about this folder "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32" I found out that
> it doesn't
> exist...any other ideas...do you think that the folder
> "C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\WSG32" is causing any problems because it doesn't exist?
> Nepatsfan you have been good help so far, I thank you for that
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> When you say "everything is ok", does that mean that when you
>> enter the full path of the command it executes? In other
>> words,
>> typing C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe at a command prompt runs
>> the progam?
>>
>> Your Path looks OK as long as %SYSTEMROOT% is pointing to the
>> correct location. Try the following:
>>
>> Open a command prompt window.
>> Copy and paste the following at the prompt and hit enter.
>> Set > C:\SET.txt
>> Now find the SET.txt file on your C drive and open it in
>> Notepad.
>> Towards the bottom look for these two entries
>> SystemDrive=C:
>> SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
>> Are they pointing to the correct locations?
>>
>> What program is located at ? See if you
>> can find out anything about this folder.
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows
>> > this...
>> >
>> > PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
>> > FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
>> > LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
>> >
>> > Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making
>> > problems, those
>> > with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing
>> > the problem?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ok, i did what you told me...I am the only account, I tried it in safe mode
and it still says the same thing "'[name of command]' is not recognized as an
internal or
external command, operable program or batch file.", there was another
account that said administrator I think that is the one you were reffering to
when you said to try it with the built-in Administrator account...I also
tried it and it said the same thing .In User variables I have two entries but
no for PATH and/or Pathext...this is what it shows

Variable Value
TEMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
TMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> I doubt that the C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32 entry is the cause of
> your problem. I asked because it raises the possibility that a
> program installed on your machine is overriding the Path.
>
> If there's another user account on your computer, log on with
> that account and see if the problem happens for that user. If
> yours is the only account on the PC, then you'll have to start in
> Safe Mode and logon with the built-in Administrator account to do
> this test.
>
> To start in Safe Mode, do the following:
> After you see the BIOS screen, start tapping the F8 key.
> Once the boot options menu appears select "Start in Safe Mode"
> and hit Enter.
> Make sure you log on with the Administrator account.
> Open a command prompt window and enter a command.
> What happens?
> Are you getting the same error message?
>
> Next, restart your PC and boot normally.
> Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
> Click on the Advanced tab.
> Click on the Environmental Variables button.
> In the top section, "User variables for...", are there any
> entries for Path and/or Pathext?
>
> Post back with answers to the questions I've asked here.
> First, is it only your account that has this problem?
> Second, what information is entered in the "User variables" box?
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nepatsfan the two entries are showing what they are supposed to
> > be showing
> > SystemDrive=C:
> > SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
> > and about this folder "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32" I found out that
> > it doesn't
> > exist...any other ideas...do you think that the folder
> > "C:\PROGRAM
> > FILES\WSG32" is causing any problems because it doesn't exist?
> > Nepatsfan you have been good help so far, I thank you for that
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> When you say "everything is ok", does that mean that when you
> >> enter the full path of the command it executes? In other
> >> words,
> >> typing C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe at a command prompt runs
> >> the progam?
> >>
> >> Your Path looks OK as long as %SYSTEMROOT% is pointing to the
> >> correct location. Try the following:
> >>
> >> Open a command prompt window.
> >> Copy and paste the following at the prompt and hit enter.
> >> Set > C:\SET.txt
> >> Now find the SET.txt file on your C drive and open it in
> >> Notepad.
> >> Towards the bottom look for these two entries
> >> SystemDrive=C:
> >> SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
> >> Are they pointing to the correct locations?
> >>
> >> What program is located at ? See if you
> >> can find out anything about this folder.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nepatsfan
> >> "? � i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Your path is wrong. This is usually caused by an incorrect registry type.

When typing path at a command prompt the %systemroot% is converted to whatever it is (usually c:\windows).

I suspect that the registry key holding the path is of Reg_SZ type rather Reg_Expand_SZ type.

I'm also unsure if a trailing ; on the path matters or not. You can experiment and let us know.

Check at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

A Reg_Expand tell windows or whatever program is using the value to expand environmental strings.

"Δ Ð į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:852646EE-AC78-4167-BA5D-E71CF8962279@microsoft.com...
> Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...
>
> PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
>
> Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making problems, those
> with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing the problem?
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Instead of entering just chkdsk try entering the full path like
>> this (as long as Windows is installed on your C drive):
>>
>> C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe
>>
>> If that works then you need to check the Path entries.
>> Type Path in the command prompt window and see if it starts with
>> the following items:
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
>>
>> Here's an article that provides more information on this. Read it
>> before you take any actions.
>>
>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1111085985
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "? Ð i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I know that byte but the command prompt wont accept any command
>> >I type it says
>> > '[name of command]' is not recognized as an internal or
>> > external command,
>> > operable program or batch file

Did you look into the possible registry issue as David Candy
suggested?
--
> ok, i did what you told me...I am the only account, I tried it
> in safe mode
> and it still says the same thing "'[name of command]' is not
> recognized as an
> internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file.", there was
> another
> account that said administrator I think that is the one you
> were reffering to
> when you said to try it with the built-in Administrator
> account...I also
> tried it and it said the same thing .In User variables I have
> two entries but
> no for PATH and/or Pathext...this is what it shows
>
> Variable Value
> TEMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
> TMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> I doubt that the C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32 entry is the cause of
>> your problem. I asked because it raises the possibility that a
>> program installed on your machine is overriding the Path.
>>
>> If there's another user account on your computer, log on with
>> that account and see if the problem happens for that user. If
>> yours is the only account on the PC, then you'll have to start
>> in
>> Safe Mode and logon with the built-in Administrator account to
>> do
>> this test.
>>
>> To start in Safe Mode, do the following:
>> After you see the BIOS screen, start tapping the F8 key.
>> Once the boot options menu appears select "Start in Safe Mode"
>> and hit Enter.
>> Make sure you log on with the Administrator account.
>> Open a command prompt window and enter a command.
>> What happens?
>> Are you getting the same error message?
>>
>> Next, restart your PC and boot normally.
>> Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
>> Click on the Advanced tab.
>> Click on the Environmental Variables button.
>> In the top section, "User variables for...", are there any
>> entries for Path and/or Pathext?
>>
>> Post back with answers to the questions I've asked here.
>> First, is it only your account that has this problem?
>> Second, what information is entered in the "User variables"
>> box?
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Nepatsfan the two entries are showing what they are supposed
>> > be showing
>> > SystemDrive=C:
>> > SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
>> > and about this folder "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32" I found out
>> > that
>> > it doesn't
>> > exist...any other ideas...do you think that the folder
>> > "C:\PROGRAM
>> > FILES\WSG32" is causing any problems because it doesn't
>> > exist?
>> > Nepatsfan you have been good help so far, I thank you for
>> > that

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

o...k I am not sure if I understood what David Candy said, I am not that
advanced. Does he mean that I should look up the registry entry for PATH to
see what type is it right?...in that case for PATH on the type of registry it
says Reg_SZ and for data is says
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
I am sorry if I didnt understand, if that wasn't it could you explain it to
me again to an easy way to understand

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Did you look into the possible registry issue as David Candy
> suggested?
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok, i did what you told me...I am the only account, I tried it
> > in safe mode
> > and it still says the same thing "'[name of command]' is not
> > recognized as an
> > internal or
> > external command, operable program or batch file.", there was
> > another
> > account that said administrator I think that is the one you
> > were reffering to
> > when you said to try it with the built-in Administrator
> > account...I also
> > tried it and it said the same thing .In User variables I have
> > two entries but
> > no for PATH and/or Pathext...this is what it shows
> >
> > Variable Value
> > TEMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
> > TMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> I doubt that the C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32 entry is the cause of
> >> your problem. I asked because it raises the possibility that a
> >> program installed on your machine is overriding the Path.
> >>
> >> If there's another user account on your computer, log on with
> >> that account and see if the problem happens for that user. If
> >> yours is the only account on the PC, then you'll have to start
> >> in
> >> Safe Mode and logon with the built-in Administrator account to
> >> do
> >> this test.
> >>
> >> To start in Safe Mode, do the following:
> >> After you see the BIOS screen, start tapping the F8 key.
> >> Once the boot options menu appears select "Start in Safe Mode"
> >> and hit Enter.
> >> Make sure you log on with the Administrator account.
> >> Open a command prompt window and enter a command.
> >> What happens?
> >> Are you getting the same error message?
> >>
> >> Next, restart your PC and boot normally.
> >> Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
> >> Click on the Advanced tab.
> >> Click on the Environmental Variables button.
> >> In the top section, "User variables for...", are there any
> >> entries for Path and/or Pathext?
> >>
> >> Post back with answers to the questions I've asked here.
> >> First, is it only your account that has this problem?
> >> Second, what information is entered in the "User variables"
> >> box?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nepatsfan
> >> "? � i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

o...k I am not sure if I understood what you said, I am not that
advanced. Does you mean that I should look up the registry entry for PATH to

"David Candy" wrote:

> Your path is wrong. This is usually caused by an incorrect registry type.
>
> When typing path at a command prompt the %systemroot% is converted to whatever it is (usually c:\windows).
>
> I suspect that the registry key holding the path is of Reg_SZ type rather Reg_Expand_SZ type.
>
> I'm also unsure if a trailing ; on the path matters or not. You can experiment and let us know.
>
> Check at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
>
> A Reg_Expand tell windows or whatever program is using the value to expand environmental strings.

> "Δ � į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:852646EE-AC78-4167-BA5D-E71CF8962279@microsoft.com...
> > Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...
> >
> > PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> > FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> > LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
> >
> > Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making problems, those
> > with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing the problem?
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> Instead of entering just chkdsk try entering the full path like
> >> this (as long as Windows is installed on your C drive):
> >>
> >> C:\windows\System32\chkdsk.exe
> >>
> >> If that works then you need to check the Path entries.
> >> Type Path in the command prompt window and see if it starts with
> >> the following items:
> >>
> >> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
> >>
> >> Here's an article that provides more information on this. Read it
> >> before you take any actions.
> >>
> >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1111085985
> >> --
> >> Nepatsfan
> >> "? Ã? i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Maybe you should ask him rather than talking about him in the third person.

"Δ Ð į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1AD8F0CB-DAC4-4377-9A62-B08B57467152@microsoft.com...
> o...k I am not sure if I understood what David Candy said, I am not that
> advanced. Does he mean that I should look up the registry entry for PATH to
> see what type is it right?...in that case for PATH on the type of registry it
> says Reg_SZ and for data is says
> %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
> I am sorry if I didnt understand, if that wasn't it could you explain it to
> me again to an easy way to understand
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Did you look into the possible registry issue as David Candy
>> suggested?
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "? Ð i S G" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > ok, i did what you told me...I am the only account, I tried it
>> > in safe mode
>> > and it still says the same thing "'[name of command]' is not
>> > recognized as an
>> > internal or
>> > external command, operable program or batch file.", there was
>> > another
>> > account that said administrator I think that is the one you
>> > were reffering to
>> > when you said to try it with the built-in Administrator
>> > account...I also
>> > tried it and it said the same thing .In User variables I have
>> > two entries but
>> > no for PATH and/or Pathext...this is what it shows
>> >
>> > Variable Value
>> > TEMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
>> > TMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

You need to delete the value, then recreate it as a Reg_Expand_SZ. Reg_Expand_SZ tells windows that it has to convert %systemroot% to c:\windows.

So select Path, double click it and select the data and Ctrl + C to copy it to the clipboard (unless you want to type it later without error). Then select path and press Delete. Right click a blank spot and choose New - Expandable String Value, rename it to Path (and make sure there is no trailing space), double click and Ctrl + V to paste the path in.

Then reboot.

Normally the last path is the last one added (but sometimes it's the first - but not in this case), C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\ in your case. This setup program for WSG32 is probably the culprit. Searching for WSG32 finds that it may be a key logger. What is in this particular folder?

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:g8oByVHV6iEJ:www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/graywareDetails.asp%3FSNAME%3DSPYW_GOLDKLOG.15+WSG32&hl=en&start=2&lr=lang_en

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:rxfUUs6_JvIJ:www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/graywareDetails.asp%3FSNAME%3DSPYW_GOLDKEY.150+WSG32&hl=en&start=1&lr=lang_en

"Δ Ð į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29A29AD7-744E-4A87-84E4-D0BAA9491C74@microsoft.com...
> o...k I am not sure if I understood what you said, I am not that
> advanced. Does you mean that I should look up the registry entry for PATH to
> see what type is it right?...in that case for PATH on the type of registry it
> says Reg_SZ and for data is says
> %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
> I am sorry if I didnt understand, if that wasn't it could you explain it to
> me again to an easy way to understand
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Your path is wrong. This is usually caused by an incorrect registry type.
>>
>> When typing path at a command prompt the %systemroot% is converted to whatever it is (usually c:\windows).
>>
>> I suspect that the registry key holding the path is of Reg_SZ type rather Reg_Expand_SZ type.
>>
>> I'm also unsure if a trailing ; on the path matters or not. You can experiment and let us know.
>>
>> Check at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
>>
>> A Reg_Expand tell windows or whatever program is using the value to expand environmental strings.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Δ Ð į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:852646EE-AC78-4167-BA5D-E71CF8962279@microsoft.com...
>> > Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...
>> >
>> > PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
>> > FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
>> > LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
>> >
>> > Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making problems, those
>> > with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing the problem?

Anything else here that has %something% in the data should also be Reg_Expand_SZ.

"Δ Ð į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29A29AD7-744E-4A87-84E4-D0BAA9491C74@microsoft.com...
> o...k I am not sure if I understood what you said, I am not that
> advanced. Does you mean that I should look up the registry entry for PATH to
> see what type is it right?...in that case for PATH on the type of registry it
> says Reg_SZ and for data is says
> %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
> I am sorry if I didnt understand, if that wasn't it could you explain it to
> me again to an easy way to understand
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Your path is wrong. This is usually caused by an incorrect registry type.
>>
>> When typing path at a command prompt the %systemroot% is converted to whatever it is (usually c:\windows).
>>
>> I suspect that the registry key holding the path is of Reg_SZ type rather Reg_Expand_SZ type.
>>
>> I'm also unsure if a trailing ; on the path matters or not. You can experiment and let us know.
>>
>> Check at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
>>
>> A Reg_Expand tell windows or whatever program is using the value to expand environmental strings.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Δ Ð į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:852646EE-AC78-4167-BA5D-E71CF8962279@microsoft.com...
>> > Nepatsfan, everything is ok and the PATH command shows this...
>> >
>> > PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
>> > FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
>> > LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
>> >
>> > Everything is good unless those otrer entries are making problems, those
>> > with DISKEEPER and Zone Alarm...do you think that is causing the problem?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks David now it works!

"David Candy" wrote:

> Anything else here that has %something% in the data should also be Reg_Expand_SZ.

> "Δ � į Σ Γ" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29A29AD7-744E-4A87-84E4-D0BAA9491C74@microsoft.com...
> > o...k I am not sure if I understood what you said, I am not that
> > advanced. Does you mean that I should look up the registry entry for PATH to
> > see what type is it right?...in that case for PATH on the type of registry it
> > says Reg_SZ and for data is says
> > %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32;%SYSTEMROOT%;%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
> > FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPER\;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE
> > LABS\ZONEALARM\MAILFRONTIER";C:\PROGRAM FILES\WSG32\
> > I am sorry if I didnt understand, if that wasn't it could you explain it to
> > me again to an easy way to understand
> >

> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Your path is wrong. This is usually caused by an incorrect registry type.
> >>
> >> When typing path at a command prompt the %systemroot% is converted to whatever it is (usually c:\windows).
> >>
> >> I suspect that the registry key holding the path is of Reg_SZ type rather Reg_Expand_SZ type.
> >>
> >> I'm also unsure if a trailing ; on the path matters or not. You can experiment and let us know.
> >>
> >> Check at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
> >>
> >> A Reg_Expand tell windows or whatever program is using the value to expand environmental strings.
> >>
> >> --

hello every one!!!
my name is stephanie
my command prompt have a problem and and i nid help!!!
when i "RUN" and browse "cmd" there is nothing happend, when i type a REGEDIT
there is a dialog box appear "did not acees .........blahblahblah!!!"

please help me how to fix it !!!!
post your reply here "THANKS" :??: