wcrockett

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I know this request is borderline insane, seeing as basically everything has some part of it made in China, but here we go.

A friend of mine does some work involving national security and asked if I could built a new desktop for him running linux, "of course" I said. Next he requested that I build it without using Chinese parts. I told him probably not, but that I would ask around. Do you guys think this is possible? If so, can you give me a parts list? I don't mind if the components are a few years old. Lastly, the parts don't have to be American, just not Chinese.

Thank you.

Solution
Well, Intel manufactures its own chipsets, some of which come from a Chinese factory.

There really is no way to know whether the board will have a Chinese chipset or other china derived components on it. You could go for a gigabyte board made in typei or something.

Really I don't think its possible.

USAFRet

Titan
I know this request is borderline insane, seeing as basically everything has some part of it made in China, but here we go.

A friend of mine does some work involving national security and asked if I could built a new desktop for him running linux, "of course" I said. Next he requested that I build it without using Chinese parts. I told him probably not, but that I would ask around. Do you guys think this is possible? If so, can you give me a parts list? I don't mind if the components are a few years old. Lastly, the parts don't have to be American, just not Chinese.

Thank you.
"does some work involving national security"
Surely his IT dept has recommendations?

And seeing as the US DoD uses mostly standard HP and Dell systems...Intel and AMD...

Just looking at CPUs is hard to find non china ones.

According to Intel own documentation, some of Intels Chipsets are made in china.
All of AMD's new CPUs are produced by TSMC, based in China.
However, if you go back to AMD 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs, these are produced by GlobalFoundries, which does not have factories in China.

The Ryzen 5 2600 is a pretty good CPU manufactured by Global Foundries.

However, all of the compatible motherboards use chipsets manufacturered by AS media, a chinese company.

Reactions: wcrockett

wcrockett

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Just looking at CPUs is hard to find non china ones.

According to Intel own documentation, some of Intels Chipsets are made in china.
All of AMD's new CPUs are produced by TSMC, based in China.
However, if you go back to AMD 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs, these are produced by GlobalFoundries, which does not have factories in China.

The Ryzen 5 2600 is a pretty good CPU manufactured by Global Foundries.

However, all of the compatible motherboards use chipsets manufacturered by AS media, a chinese company.

Do you know of any older motherboards that aren't Chinese? There might be Costa Rican or Malaysian CPU's compatible with it them.

Well, Intel manufactures its own chipsets, some of which come from a Chinese factory.

There really is no way to know whether the board will have a Chinese chipset or other china derived components on it. You could go for a gigabyte board made in typei or something.

Reactions: wcrockett
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
vintage-mainframe-computer-perforated-punch-cards-ibm-80-column-card-format.jpg

wcrockett

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

I figured it was impossible too, but it didn't hurt to ask. Thanks for your input!