[SOLVED] Computer Can't Remember Recent Settings/Files

Balderdash999

Prominent
Feb 12, 2021
I recently built a Windows 10 PC, and I've noticed that it never seems to retain short term data. Specifically, no programs that use an "open recent files" feature can detect said files, and all games revert to default settings on launch (even including unskippable tutorial prompts). I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or something that can be resolved through tweaking Windows settings.

Does anyone here know what this could be and/or how to fix it?

Specs:
Asus b550f mobo
Nvidia GTX 1660ti card (6gb vram)
Ryzen 5 3600x cpu
8gb RAM
Corsair 750w power supply
500gbWestern Digital nvme ssd (boot)
2tb Seagate mechanical HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master
try this for quick access - don't download the tool - https://www.intowindows.com/fix-qui... Open the Folder,access check box is selected.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Balderdash999

Prominent
Feb 12, 2021
try this for quick access - don't download the tool - https://www.intowindows.com/fix-quick-access-not-showing-recent-files-in-windows-10/#:~:text=Step 1: Open the Folder,access check box is selected.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I tried everything in the linked article and nothing changed.

When I type "SFC/scannow" into powershell, I get the following message:

"SFC/scannow : The term 'SFC/scannow' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again."