[SOLVED] Computer crashes without error message as if a power cutoff

Sep 13, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I am encountering an issue that my computer crashes with direct power cutoff.

Hardware configuration
Motherboard: ASUS B450M-PRO Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x4) DDR4-3200 MHz
Graphic Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING X Video Card
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVME 500GB / WD Blue SN550 NVME 1TB
Power: CoolerMaster MWE Gold 550W 80+

Observations
  • The computer shuts down as if the power supply just cutoff the power. The LED light on the motherboard is still on. I can not restart the computer (pressing the start button has no response). I would guess if this is some protection mechanism? I can power on the computer after I reboot the power supply for 10 seconds or so.
  • This phenomenon happens with no obvious pattern. It happens at random times. It seems that it happens more often at times right after I log in the Windows (like immediately after logging). It seems that this did not happen at BIOS.
  • The CPU and motherboard temperatures were all normal (below 50 degree celcius). However, in AMD Ryzen Master page, I saw that the "EDC(CPU)" reading were extremely high (99% of 140A, Limit 200A). I changed the Power settings @ "AMD Ryzen Balanced" mode, where I changed the "Minimum processer state" under "Processer power management" from 70% to 5%. This lowered the idle EDC. However, this does not seem to resolve the shutdown issue. Every time I restarted the computer, the EDC reading is always 99%.

Current stage (20210913)

I switched around power outlets and it does not seem to be the cause. I intend to re-install Windows OS as I am not sure if the driver or the power settings is the cause of this issue.

Any troubleshooting or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Mike

Solution
Hi Everyone,

Hardware configuration

Observations
  • The computer shuts down as if the power supply just cutoff the power. The LED light on the motherboard is still on. I can not restart the computer (pressing the start button has no response). I would guess if this is some protection mechanism? I can power on the computer after I reboot the power supply...
Hi Everyone,

Hardware configuration

Observations
  • The computer shuts down as if the power supply just cutoff the power. The LED light on the motherboard is still on. I can not restart the computer (pressing the start button has no response). I would guess if this is some protection mechanism? I can power on the computer after I reboot the power supply for 10 seconds or so.
  • This phenomenon happens with no obvious pattern. It happens at random times. It seems that it happens more often at times right after I log in the Windows (like immediately after logging). It seems that this did not happen at BIOS.
  • The CPU and motherboard temperatures were all normal (below 50 degree celcius). However, in AMD Ryzen Master page, I saw that the "EDC(CPU)" reading were extremely high (99% of 140A, Limit 200A). I changed the Power settings @ "AMD Ryzen Balanced" mode, where I changed the "Minimum processer state" under "Processer power management" from 70% to 5%. This lowered the idle EDC. However, this does not seem to resolve the shutdown issue. Every time I restarted the computer, the EDC reading is always 99%.
Current stage (20210913)

I switched around power outlets and it does not seem to be the cause. I intend to re-install Windows OS as I am not sure if the driver or the power settings is the cause of this issue.

Any troubleshooting or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Mike
maybe you could try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders. Also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and bios settings you did previously), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4..

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Really? With a 100w GTX 1650 Super? Come on! And that's a recommandadion from Seasonic that use thinner wires and crappy connectors.

The computer shuts down as if the power supply just cutoff the power. The LED light on the motherboard is still on. I can not restart the computer (pressing the start button has no response). I would guess if this is some protection mechanism? I can power on the computer after I reboot the power supply for 10 seconds or so.
That's a tripping protection in the PSU or it's failing. Not the first MWE Gold I see failing.

Have you ever updated the motherboard BIOS?

At what speed is your RAM running? 4 dimms supposed to be heavy for Zen+.