Question Computer does not turn on when graphics card plugged

Georgio Menezes

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi everyone,

My computer refused to turn on. Was not sure how it happened considering it worked the previous day and I shut down the computer manually.
While troubleshooting I noticed that if I remove the graphics card the motherboard turns on. Since I have a Ryzen 1600 CPU, the computer will not boot up without a dedicated graphics card. All I can see is that the error light on the motherboard shows up under VGA.
With the above I assumed that the graphic card must be the problem. But I also noticed that if the graphics card is slotted in but the power is not supplied to it, the mother board will still not turn on. My assumption was the MB would turn on. Only when I remove the graphic card from the slot it turns on.
The other thing I noticed when the graphics card is slotted in, the PSU fan moves for a second before stopping. I am guessing it may have something to do with current protection.
With all this, I am not sure if the graphics card is the issue or the motherboard PCI-E slot has an issue. Considering the prices of graphics card nowadays, I would want to avoid investing in one unless I am sure what could be the issue.

Side note. I also added a new power supply unit after the PC stopped working as I thought that was the culprit first since my monitor died and my keyboard also stopped working properly a few weeks before.

Any suggestions as to what you think the issue could be? Thanks

My specs
Ryzen 1600
32GB RAM
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard
Corsair 550W VS power supply
Kingston 1TB nvme drive
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB

Georgio Menezes

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to source a donor PSU with at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal to rule out a faulty/failing PSU. Make and model of your new PSU used to power the system?

Old one is Corsair 550W VS. Bought is 4 years back
New one is Silverstone Viva 550W.
Got the same wattage as read that 550W should suffice for the GPU.