[SOLVED] Computer freezes for a few seconds every so often when playing games?

V0ltage

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Alright so this has me pretty stumped...

I have a Windows 10 PC running the latest version 1809. It has great hardware and everything seems to be fine.

But when I play Call of Duty WWII, StarCraft 2, Skyrim, or really any game it randomly "locks up" for a few seconds every minute or two.

What I mean by this is that whatever key I'm pressing in game, maybe moving forward, it will keep getting pressed, but the screen will freeze for a second and I'll end up half way across the map since I kept moving that direction instead of stopping.

This happens in offline games, (CoD WWII campaign) so its not lag, but it looks a whole lot like it.

Here's my hardware and the benchmark test I did:

UserBenchmarks: Game 124%, Desk 100%, Work 78%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 96.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 158.8%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 123.2%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - 133.4%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3466 C19 2x8GB - 102.3%
MBD: Asus Z170-A

here's what I've tried so far:
  • I have ensured that my computer has all the latest drivers, from BIOS to GPU (using Nvidia Geforce Experience for GPU)
  • I have tried running the game in clean boot mode, and still experienced the same problems
  • I have also tried running the games at the lowest specs and still experienced the same problems
  • I have run CPUID in the background. All hardware stays under 50-60 C with most being under 50 C
  • I have run Task Manager in the background, no hardware is maxing out at 100%. Video card seems to stay around 92% at peak performance
  • I have run a MemTest on my ram from their live disk. No errors
  • I have moved my RAM to different slots to see if that has an impact
  • I have turned off XMP
  • I have turned on XMP
  • I have added certain keys to the registry for a similar problem someone had
  • I have run a full disk Windows Defender Scan
None of these have solved my problem...

What is going on here? I have no idea what to do at this point...

Solution
How can I verify before buying a new PSU?
If you have one lying around (which probably don't), or if you know someone who does. Otherwise you could go to bestbuy (or and equivalent store) and get a psu to use for testing. I know bestbuy will let your return if it doesn't solve your problem. Even if it does fix it, you can return it to buy a better one.

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
How can I verify before buying a new PSU?
If you have one lying around (which probably don't), or if you know someone who does. Otherwise you could go to bestbuy (or and equivalent store) and get a psu to use for testing. I know bestbuy will let your return if it doesn't solve your problem. Even if it does fix it, you can return it to buy a better one.

Solution