chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
Hello!

For some reasong, my PC lags at random times. It works well almost all the time but once every couple of minutes it just has a very slight freeze. It's very annoying especially when you use 3D Programs.

I've tried:
--Power options- High performance and balanced, disabled PCI Express, tried AHCI Power Management(All the settings)

--virtual memory is fine

--turned off fast startup

--updated drivers manually

--removed temp files

--sfc/scannow reveals no problems

--HDD/SSD are healthy- ran a check on those as well

--tried to reinstall windows and selected keep personal files and for some reason all the apps that i had in C drive(where windows was installed) were kept. I'm not used to reinstalling my windows- i though the drive in which the windows is installed will be resetted. That was done through a USB using mediacreationtool

also, when i try to reset windows it always fails

It drives me nuts.Help would be greatly appreciated

oh, forgot to say that i doubt it's a pc spec problem. i have an i7 8700 3.20ghz, 32 gb ram, asustek prime z370, nvidia 1070ti and 750ti.

Thanks you,
Chris

Solution
Just an update.
Did a clean install of windows - so it erased everything that i had on the windows partition.
The problem seems to have dissapeared :)

New problem regarding computer freezing and then a message "speaker unpluged" that is an incovinience. But hopefully uninstalling the audio driver -> installing it again from google solved it.

Anyhow, the lagging stopped.

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

Cheers!

So I entered safe mode and played for a while with the browser and paint and i didn't encounter any issues.
The lag sometimes appears when i write ( not that often tbh) but it did not appear there.

I couldn't check the 3D programs- i feel the lag there everytime. I did mess with ms paint to check if it lags there ( photoshop lags fairly often) and didn't encounter any freezes.

Overall it felt more "snappy" in safemode.

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
Then is might be some app that you installed running in the background. that causing issue when not in safe mode

I try to keep all my apps to a minimum. I sometimes do have 10 tabs opened in Chrome but with my specs it should not intervene in basic tasks.

What i noticed is that when i start up the computer the first couple of minutes are fine-ish and the longer i work the more lag appears.
I checked if the cpu/gpu temperature or disk temperature rises but nothing.
Also checked the pc with performancemonitor and the spikes are there when it lags.

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
Just an update.
Did a clean install of windows - so it erased everything that i had on the windows partition.
The problem seems to have dissapeared :)

New problem regarding computer freezing and then a message "speaker unpluged" that is an incovinience. But hopefully uninstalling the audio driver -> installing it again from google solved it.

Anyhow, the lagging stopped.

Solution