Computer freezing, black and grey lines, bsod

dem69

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Solved, assume it was northbridge went bad, rma it 2 weeks ago and got it back the other day.

I posted about this a week or so ago, just about the freezing. Saw my first bsod after posting the thread and past couple of days I started seeing black and gray lines. I thought maybe a short from a fan was causing it but I just unplug it and the still computer freezes.

I have tested ram with memtest one at a time and it found nothing and it still locked up with just one stick, I have removed both of my video card and now using intel hd3000.

My temps don't seem to be getting hot though (Asrock told me to check northbridge and vcore to see if they felt hot enough to burn me and they don't)

mb : Asrock extreme7 gen3
cpu : i7 2600k
ram: 16gb gskill ripjaws 1600
gfx: asus 560gtx in sli
psu: real power pro coolermaster 1000w <- I've order a new psu which hopefully gets here friday.
hhd: hitachi 1tb

I havn't reformatted yet but I have had the issue in the bios (which I havn't upgraded yet either) I do not have another motherboard or cpu I can check with :/

Any suggestions....?

Can anyone explain dr.debug to me? I saw it flash a lot of codes but then its now blank and I had no time to really read them.

LOL (actually did lol when I read that), Asrock tech support must be masochists. "Oh go ahead and touch that, if it burns the crap out of you then we can ascertain that the system is indeed too hot". I would have been tempted to scream loudly in pain on the phone, just to see their reaction after telling me to touch a potentially hot computer component.

Heres a better way for future reference: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

As far as your BSOD's what information is it giving you as to the cause of them?

You can use a program like this to view you dump files which are created every time your computer BSOD's http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for the link. I'll add it to my collection. :)

dem69:

Did you try resetting your cmos or pulling the battery?

cylemmulo

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Are the black and gray lines showing up a bit before it bsod's? Or are they just always showing up now. If there are errors like that it could be signs of GPU problems, though I usually don't hear of black and gray lines. Try a good old clean up of the computer, take everything out, blow it out get rid of dust, reseat it. If that doesn't work I would try a format just incase though it sounds hardware related.

If not the GPU might be a psu dieing too. You could swing up to the nearest computer store, get a new psu, try it and if it doesnt fix it just return it.

dem69

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Yea I thought it was crazy too and I do use that, ty for links I'll have to check out the 2nd one.

@Chaz21 I've reset the cmos since it has happen and still happens

@cylemmulo I'm using the intel graphics from the cpu right now, I got another psu shipping from newegg hopefully be here tomorrow also an ssd drive coming so will be reformatting too. I've already clean out my fans but I havn't reset the cpu, most likely will do that tomorrow also. (Will clean fans even more)

Um the black/gray lines..I've only gotten them twice I think. The only way I've bother to try and fix them is a hard reset.

Thanks for help.

So tonight I've gotten 2 colorful flashing screens but computer hasn't locked up..still hard reset to fix it (didn't try anything else)

dem69

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Bleh, I put the new psu in earlier and started up then it froze again shortly after getting into windows. I havn't reformatted yet, not sure if it even would let me. Sent asrock another email...