[SOLVED] Computer is not recognizing NVME SSD

Cityfans135

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
I just installed a Samsung 980 NVME SSD into my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard which I purchased new in 2016. I am aware that this board will bottleneck the speed, I'll upgrade the CPU/MOBO next year, I just wanted to get a fast drive to use once I upgrade.

Anyways, neither BIOS nor Windows see the SSD. In BIOS it just says "Not Present". According the the motherboard specifications, it supports M.2 PCIe 10Gb/s. Could it be trying to use SATA instead? (Also SATA 5 and 6 are empty, not that it matters for PCIe)
I've seen several other Tom's Hardware and Reddit threads where people have gotten it to work, but no matter what I try it just doesn't show up anywhere. I've also tried using Samsung's NVME driver but it wont install because it doesn't see the SSD either.

What do you think the issue is here?

Thanks

EDIT: I forgot a few details, I'm on Windows 10 and It's not a boot drive. I just want it as more storage.

Last edited:

Cityfans135

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
Which BIOS version?

v1.9 specifically speaks to NVMe drive compatibility.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5

See my other reply about bios versions.
I'm going to test it on my brother's B450 board just to make sure it's not a "dead on arrival" ssd. But yeah, everything seems like it should work so it's very strange...
Thanks for the help, I'll update with my findings later!

TRENDING THREADS