[SOLVED] Computer keeps shutting off

Feb 28, 2020
Hi all,
I’ve recently upgraded my ram, motherboard, cpu, and gpu all at once. The cpu and ram I bought new, the motherboard was out of the box, and the gpu I got for free from a stranger. I’ve updated all my drivers and windows version.
The problem is that when I launch my pc, it runs for about 15 minutes. During this time I open up warzone and discord. After about 10 minutes of warzone being open, I get an error that says directx has run into an unrecoverable error or something like that, then little dots appear across my monitor, it freezes a couple times, and then it crashes and restarts. This process happens within a couple minutes.
I was able to keep the pc running for an hour and a half while no game was open as I was downloading warzone and drivers, so I’m really not sure what the problem is. It isn’t overheating, as the temps are normal for both gpu and cpu.
My first theory is that the gpu is artifacting and I have to go buy a new one, but then I don’t understand why it worked fine when I was just downloading games. My second theory is that the psu isn’t enough voltage (specs below). Please help!!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h8KtrV
Edit: so I plugged in my older 970 that I used previously and the pc is running fine, which means something is up with the gpu. I would normally say it’s artifacting but the weird thing is that it ran perfectly for a couple hours while I was downloading games and drivers. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry, missed that in your post :)
The GPU claims to draw 600Watt by itself, I am pretty confident this is the issue.

Edit: The GPU card itself is claimed to be 250W but the whole system with it should be ~500 which is borderline.
My rule of thumb is 60% (systems that rated for 600W should have 1kW PSU for long and healthy live), but less than that will probably do.
The GPU claims to draw 600Watt by itself, I am pretty confident this is the issue.

Edit: The GPU card itself is claimed to be 250W but the whole system with it should be ~500 which is borderline.
My rule of thumb is 60% (systems that rated for 600W should have 1kW PSU for long and healthy live), but less than that will probably do.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 28, 2020

That’s what I thought until I plugged in my 970 and it works perfectly. So idk what it is.

Feb 28, 2020
As I said, it seems to be the PSU is getting cooked till it gives up and you cool it down 🙃
Edit: I wish they would install temp or load sensors in those PSU.
Ok so a couple questions. First, how can I verify it’s a power supply problem not the gpu bugging out? Second, what psu would u suggest that’s cost effective yet sufficient for this.

how can I verify it’s a power supply problem not the gpu bugging out?
Limit the power usage of your GPU to 80% via your favorite tweaking utility and see what it does to the system.

what psu would u suggest that’s cost effective yet sufficient for this.
Switching power supply technology is a beaten to death horse. Any vendor in your area that meets your price range and gives 5+ yr warranty will do.
Edit: My personal preference is Corsair HXi series. My 1200W PSU will not even run the fan most of the time.

Feb 28, 2020
Limit the power usage of your GPU to 80% via your favorite tweaking utility and see what it does to the system.
Is MSI Afterburner ok?

Switching power supply technology is a beaten to death horse. Any vendor in your area that meets your price range and gives 5+ yr warranty will do.
Edit: My personal preference is Corsair HXi series. My 1200W PSU will not even run the fan most of the time.
How many watts would you suggest?