Question Computer problems when recognising RAM/Disks

ShakMR

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hello everyone,

My computer has had this problem several times in the past and now I'm really annoyed by it.

Last one happened on Monday (April 22th). The computer didn't want to start (not even a flash or fan trying to move) I though the PSU might be faulty to I unplugged everything and tested the PSU alone. It was fine, so I plugged everything again to assess if the Graphic Card was demanding to much power. Unplugged the Graphic Card and voila, the computer was again able to boot up. Then I plugged in the Graphic Card again and everything was fine (except one of the SSD was not recognised).

Yesterday (Tuesday 23th of April), the computer didn't want to start (again). This time, though, the fans, disks etc. where starting up and the shuting down (in a cycle). I when on and check the Dr. Debug panel, and it said 0x55 (cannot detect memory. So I unplugged one RAM Slot, turned the computer on, off, and plugged the RAM in again. It was working fine after that. And this is what has happened several times and annoys me so much. The same SSD was not recognised and the PCI card I have for connecting the other SATA SSD wasn't recognized either. I had to plug and unplug SATA and power cables to make it appear in the BIOS. The problem now is that the PCI to SATA card loading time has increased a lot.

Do you thing there's a problem with the PSU, motherboard, both?

I always thought the motherboard has some problem but I don't understand why it does work and sometimes it doesn't.

Here are the PC hardware:
Motherboard: Asrock P67 Pro3
CPU: Intel i7 3770
RAM: 2x4GB GSKill Sniper, 2x4GB Corsair
PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 120GB (connected to motherboard SATA3), SanDisk 480GB (Connected to PCI to SATA Card
PCI: CSL PCI-expres 2.0 to SATA3

Lutfij

Titan
There is the issue about you having mixed and matched your rams on your system.

I'd ask you to have one set of rams only(from one maker). How old is the PSU? How did you verify that the PSU was in working order? If you used the paperclip test to jump the PSU, then the PSU IS the culprit. That test FYI is pointless since it doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can effectively output for your system.

ShakMR

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
About the mixed rams. This same about not recognising the memory happend several times in the past, before having the Corsiar pair. Both sets have same frequency, voltage and so. With this, however, I dont say you are wrong.

The PSU is from ~2012, so around 6, 7 years (probably too much). I did the paperclip test because the PSU wasn't even starting. I don't have a proper tester at home.

ShakMR

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
OK, so this is pretty weird.

I've bought a multimeter and I've tested all the voltages in all the pins (disconnected from the computer and connected) all the value are within the normal margins but SSD stopped working after the testing. I just managed to magically make the SSD work (appear in the BIOS) and I don't know how.

TRENDING THREADS