[SOLVED] Computer randomly crashes to black, restarts, won't reboot properly.

Mar 18, 2020
I've seen a few similar threads around here about this, but it looked to me like it could be dependent on your specific setup, so I thought I'd detail mine in the case I may miss something.

Here are my computer's specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: i7-3570k 3.4GHz Quad Core intel i5
CPU Cooler: Xigmatech Loki
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V Rev 1.xx
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 580, 8192MB GDDR5 (software version 19.20)
Memory: 16384MB Ram
Power Supply: 850watt Raidmax AE, 80+ Gold Certified

6 or so months ago, I replaced my computer with a new motherboard, graphics card, and processor.

I notice my computer, while nothing is running and even what seems to be in resting mode, it will do the revving up sound like it's starting to run some strenuous program, but nothing is being used and nothing is running in the background.

It then started crashing to a black screen when I'd play games. The monitors (I have a dual-screens, though games only run on one side) would still apparently be on via their little lights, along with my mouse and keyboard, but I couldn't access or see a thing except press the power button to restart or shut down manually.

Eventually it began to crash like this while Alt + Tab-ing out of simpler games, or while doing nothing at all but maybe browsing the web.

A lot of the time wouldn't even reboot properly for me, unless I forcefully shut it down entirely and let it stay off for awhile. Then it'll work for a bit upon coming on again. Sometimes if I'm lucky, it'll run just fine for awhile if I'm doing something simple like browsing the web.

I can't tell if it would be the graphics card causing these issues or if it might be the PSU, but any and all advice or suggestions are appreciated. My graphics card does need a software update, but at the moment it is giving me the error message 'Windows cannot find 'Bin64\InstallManagerAPP.exe.' But would this be the issue I'm having-- it was working fine before this?

In the case it's needed, I used a program to see where the temps were clocking in at and took some screenshots, if it's at all relevant or helpful (granted I did this right):

https://ibb.co/5YTpBtg
https://ibb.co/vkzd6Y1
https://ibb.co/qyQbDWF

Thanks for sticking with me for this long, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
It’s most likely your drivers. The new Radeon Adrenaline Drivers causes a black screen issue. Anything above 19.7.0 or so has had the same issue persisting all the way up to the newer 20.4.1 version. Something doesn’t install right during the installation process, and it’s affecting so many people right now a fix is in desperate order.
Raidmax is a horrible, horrible PSU. I would replace it ASAP. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-raidmax-psu-ok.2240840/

I am not surprised your system was crashing during games, your PSU could not power your system.

What CPU are you exactly using? The 3570k or 3770?

Replace your PSU with something better. Something like this should be fine:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wr...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

As for your installation issue, use DDU to uninstall all previous AMD drivers, then re-install them from the site. This thread should help you: https://community.amd.com/thread/198607

Mar 18, 2020
Raidmax is a horrible, horrible PSU. I would replace it ASAP. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-raidmax-psu-ok.2240840/

I am not surprised your system was crashing during games, your PSU could not power your system.

What CPU are you exactly using? The 3570k or 3770?

Replace your PSU with something better. Something like this should be fine:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wr...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

As for your installation issue, use DDU to uninstall all previous AMD drivers, then re-install them from the site. This thread should help you: https://community.amd.com/thread/198607

Man, never would have thought to look up the quality of PSU I’ve got because I’ve had it for so long— thank you for that suggestion, I most definitely will replace. As for my CPU, it’s the 3770.

Does upgrading the graphics card software usually make a big difference in performance? May be an obvious question but was curious exactly how much trouble it causes when you don’t.

Really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020
Keeping your drivers updated ensures peak performance usually. You can usually get by not updating for a few months if its not a major update but its generally reccommended to stay on top of the updates.

I ended up replacing the PSU with what was recommended (SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified), as well as updated my AMD Radeon to its latest driver.

Problem is still persisting. Was working okay, then I didn’t do anything but type in another website into the Chrome browser while a game was tabbed out on my other screen (something I would have thought & something that my PC would’ve easily done before, with even more intensive games). I feel like this is happening either when I’m interacting with numerous things at once (tabbing in & out of different applications like between a browser and a game in the same period) or simply at random.

Yet just yesterday I was playing a game on one screen and running a show on Netflix on the other for almost 4 hours straight with no issue. Though I didn’t window out or interact with too much then?

Could this be anything else? I’m at a loss.

Edit: Again, it goes straight to black on both screens & they give the blue ‘No Signal’ before nothing, but the computer still seems to be running despite not being able to do anything about it except manually force a shutdown. So far the only fix has been to do that, shut off the power switch completely for at minimum 10 minutes, then turn it back on & hope it won’t do it again. Restarting from there doesn’t do anything; it’s black again before even getting to the login.

Last edited:

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
I got same problem that you, I still think is my PSU but now you say you change the PSU and still have same problem im thinking its the GPU (which is also the same i have), what you have to try is lower the clock by -100mhz lets say if your stock clock is 1380 leave it at 1280 and also dont OC and dont undervolt neither.

Reactions: discommodious
I ended up replacing the PSU with what was recommended (SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified), as well as updated my AMD Radeon to its latest driver.

Problem is still persisting. Was working okay, then I didn’t do anything but type in another website into the Chrome browser while a game was tabbed out on my other screen (something I would have thought & something that my PC would’ve easily done before, with even more intensive games). I feel like this is happening either when I’m interacting with numerous things at once (tabbing in & out of different applications like between a browser and a game in the same period) or simply at random.

Yet just yesterday I was playing a game on one screen and running a show on Netflix on the other for almost 4 hours straight with no issue. Though I didn’t window out or interact with too much then?

Could this be anything else? I’m at a loss.

Edit: Again, it goes straight to black on both screens & they give the blue ‘No Signal’ before nothing, but the computer still seems to be running despite not being able to do anything about it except manually force a shutdown. So far the only fix has been to do that, shut off the power switch completely for at minimum 10 minutes, then turn it back on & hope it won’t do it again. Restarting from there doesn’t do anything; it’s black again before even getting to the login.

Could you try another wall outlet? Your temps look fine to me. What storage options are you running? Could you check the drivers for your SSD if you have one? Try running your system with individual RAM sticks and testing them across the slots.

I am sorry that the PSU did not work solve your problem.

berb

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
I think I'm having the same issue, before when I tried running any intensive 3D game like MW or The Isle it crashed after minutes of running. While running it made a buzzing noise from the PSU and somewhere else in the case. The other buzzing kind of sounded like it was coming from the gpu but not for sure. When it crashed I lost signal on both monitors but it seemed everything was still fine. I had to forcefully shut down the computer and reboot to get it working again. Idling and browsing the internet and playing light performance games was fine. But now when I turn the computer on i get "please connect PCIe cables to the graphics card." Maybe the PSU finally died or it killed my GPU, I dont really know. I am getting a replacement PSU to see if it fixes the problem. Will come back here and update when I do.

edit: I have not done any troubleshooting trying to fix thr error "please connect PCIe to graphics card" because I dont want to tinker with anything if it is a problem with the bomb of a PSU that I have

I have a really shitty ALLIED sl-8500btx PSU, rtx 2060 super, MSI b450 tomahawk max, R7 3700x, NH-D15 cooler, Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz ddr4 RAM.

Mar 18, 2020
I think I'm having the same issue, before when I tried running any intensive 3D game like MW or The Isle it crashed after minutes of running. While running it made a buzzing noise from the PSU and somewhere else in the case. The other buzzing kind of sounded like it was coming from the gpu but not for sure. When it crashed I lost signal on both monitors but it seemed everything was still fine. I had to forcefully shut down the computer and reboot to get it working again. Idling and browsing the internet and playing light performance games was fine. But now when I turn the computer on i get "please connect PCIe cables to the graphics card." Maybe the PSU finally died or it killed my GPU, I dont really know. I am getting a replacement PSU to see if it fixes the problem. Will come back here and update when I do.

edit: I have not done any troubleshooting trying to fix thr error "please connect PCIe to graphics card" because I dont want to tinker with anything if it is a problem with the bomb of a PSU that I have

I have a really shitty ALLIED sl-8500btx PSU, rtx 2060 super, MSI b450 tomahawk max, R7 3700x, NH-D15 cooler, Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz ddr4 RAM.

Did you manage to find a solution for your issue, or still waiting to see on the new PSU?

Mar 18, 2020
Could you try another wall outlet? Your temps look fine to me. What storage options are you running? Could you check the drivers for your SSD if you have one? Try running your system with individual RAM sticks and testing them across the slots.

I am sorry that the PSU did not work solve your problem.

No worries, PSU likely needed to be replaced anyway.

I have 1 SSD and 3 Hard Drives, all in updated driver / working order from the looks of it. Not a lot of the space is being used at the moment, too.

I’ve been taking a breather on using my computer, but lately I’ve taken note of the smaller details or issues while trying to use it, in case it helps in any way to pinpoint the base cause:

- My computer seems to work when its actively running things, such as leaving Netflix playing, a light game on, or a download running. It more often shuts off to black / restarts itself when it remains idle for any random amount of time.

- When I try to run a heavy game, different story. I try these games again because sometimes it CAN run games, but recently they’ve got to be smaller and less graphic-intensive. But recently I’ve tried ESO and it can’t get past the Character Creation screen. It doesn't even sound like it starts to run hard, just abruptly turns off the displays and makes a terrible buzzing noise before restarting itself. It will continue to reboot itself over and over (it can’t make it to the login screen), sounding like it’s trying very hard to run, until eventually reaching a blue screen asking me about options I’d like to try. Of these, I usually select to shut down the computer because after letting it rest for 10-30 minutes and as long as I don’t go back to heavy games or idling too much, it’ll usually be working fine. Occasionally when it crashes to the buzzing sound, I do have to shut it down manually, but lately it’s been rebooting on its own.

- While it’s in the midst of the displays shutting down issue but everything else still running, I’ve tried to carefully check the inside and the GPU does seem to feel very hot, but I’m not certain it’s actually overheating or not. All seems to be working, and all fans running.

- Sometimes when it’s having the No Signal display issue upon startup, I physically check the GPU and sometimes its usual bright blue light is either off or faint. I can jiggle the GPU itself and the light flickers back on and upon reboot it seems to start working right again. It does sag due to its weight, and I try my best to keep it level , but even when the light is on and it’s fully functioning, my computer still does all else mentioned.

* One thing I’ve done just in case it is overheating, is lower the clock by 100mhz and set the fans to run more and sooner depending on the temps, but that hasn’t seemed to change anything.

I can also see about shifting to another wall outlet if that really could make or break the issue; it would require moving my entire setup which is why I’ve left that as of so far.

Mar 18, 2020
Lol another addition (frankly getting frustrated; I’m considering taking my computer into a shop when COVID passes because I’m honestly not the most savvy if it gets overly technical):

When I went to change my solid black desktop background that spans across both monitors to an actual picture background as I have in the past, it blacked out my screens to No Signal immediately and I had to force a restart.

Edit; It was shutdown all night before I turned it on and attempted this, and now that it has black screened, it’s blacking out for everything now. Loading up Steam, a loading screen on a 780MB game when I have several TB worth of storage on my computer. Shutting the whole thing down, switch and all, for awhile.

Last edited:

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
It’s most likely your drivers. The new Radeon Adrenaline Drivers causes a black screen issue. Anything above 19.7.0 or so has had the same issue persisting all the way up to the newer 20.4.1 version. Something doesn’t install right during the installation process, and it’s affecting so many people right now a fix is in desperate order.

Reactions: discommodious
Solution