[SOLVED] Computer runs much smoother after removing hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2022
So I have been playing games like Fortnite Valorant and r6 but then suddenly one day they were very laggy. I checked task manager and it said that my disk was at 100% while running the games, and I thought this was weird because the games were not on my hard drive but on another SSD. But just to make sure, I unplugged the hard drive and rebooted, and the games were much smoother (windows is installed on an SSD). I want to add it back because the hard drive has a lot of other games on it and 2 terabytes of storage so I kind of need it, but I am scared that my computer will start to lag again. Why would this be happening? Can I fix it?

(I don't know where to post this so I am sorry if it is in the wrong category)

SPECS:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 5600G
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ
GPU: GTX 1650 SUPER

Solution
you can use built in windows tools to read the smart data. here's a good tutorial on how/what to look for

https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery...art-in-windows-10-for-a-potential-problem.htm

another option is crystal disk info that reads the same data and puts it into an easy to read format

most likely this will show some sort of problem based on what you have described.

you can back up your games if you have a place to put them so you don't have to re-download them again. steam makes it pretty easy as does a couple of the other launchers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when i've had that happen it was usually a sign that the hdd was starting to die. to be safe i'd get important stuff backed-up asap and then look into what the drive is doing.

run the check disk tool on the drive as a step 1 and see what it finds, once your data is backed-up elsewhere of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 25, 2022
when i've had that happen it was usually a sign that the hdd was starting to die. to be safe i'd get important stuff backed-up asap and then look into what the drive is doing.

run the check disk tool on the drive as a step 1 and see what it finds, once it is backed-up elsewhere of course.
so this happens suddenly? It was fine until like a week ago where everything started to lag until I unplugged it. But I guess it does make sense, it is a 4 year old hard drive.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yes, a hdd can work fine one minute then be 100% dead the next. or it can suddenly start dying out of nowhere. a hdd can last a month or 20 years, you never know.

that's why your back-up plan is something you should have nailed down BEFORE this happens. once it dies, there is no getting your data back no matter how much you "really really really need it."

Dec 25, 2022
yes, a hdd can work fine one minute then be 100% dead the next. or it can suddenly start dying out of nowhere. a hdd can last a month or 20 years, you never know.

that's why your back-up plan is something you should have nailed down BEFORE this happens. once it dies, there is no getting your data back no matter how much you "really really really need it."
Thank you. Is there any like software I can use to see the health of the drive? I will no longer use it although I won't back it up because it just had a bunch of games and nothing else. It's a real shame that it no longer works but at least storage is not as pricey.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can use built in windows tools to read the smart data. here's a good tutorial on how/what to look for

https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery...art-in-windows-10-for-a-potential-problem.htm

another option is crystal disk info that reads the same data and puts it into an easy to read format

most likely this will show some sort of problem based on what you have described.

you can back up your games if you have a place to put them so you don't have to re-download them again. steam makes it pretty easy as does a couple of the other launchers.

Reactions: quantaviousgooch
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS