OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I have bought a new computer but I have a problem, my computer shutsdown little now and then. Here are my computerparts:
amd64 x2 4400+
corsair twinX 3200C2PRO 2048mb (2x 1024mb)
Asus A8N-E nforce4 motherboard (waiting for my asus premium)
Asus extreme N7800 GTX TOP
Samsung 250GB SATA2
Antec truepower 2 550W.

I have windows XP professional SP1 installed.

I have monitored my voltage wich didnt change at shutdown time. Also monitored my cpu and mobo temperature and they didnt go over 50 degree (mostly around 45 degree) so thats not the problem eather. The shutdowns come randomly. It can shutdown at boottime aswell (like now when started the computer for the first time today I had to start it 3 times before I got past the boot and could use the computer) then it died about 1½ hour later and I could start it again without problem.

Anyone have a clue what it can be?

OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........... I tested to put a soundcard in my comp, then it just died in the booting all the time. Just in the beginning where everything gets initialized it just shutsdown again. Then I tested without the soundcard and without my chassi "door" that also have a fan on it, then it booted up nicely. I cant say if the computer runs "good" now because it could die after 2h before.

If it isnt shuttingdown now its probably not getting power enough to drive everything but that is really [-peep-] becuase shouldnt a Antec Truepower 2 550W be able to drive my computer?????

What should I do buhuuuu

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Geeze. It seems to me like it could be almost anything, but nothing easy to identify. You were good to monitor your temps and voltages to look for something there, and your symptoms seem to rule out drivers. (Though maybe not your mobo's BIOS needing a flash.) So that pretty much covers the basic advice. :\

You know, that actually kind of reminds me of an old PC I had where the system seemed to crash randomly. Luckily one day I noticed that it was crashing every time someone walked by. :O The culprit turned out to be an AGP card with a loose connection because the case was bent a little funny. I'd reseated that card a number of times, but I'd never thought to bend the case to ensure that the card was seated better until then. Who'd a thunk it, you know?

So anywho, try unplugging everything and removing every card and then putting it all back together. Maybe it's just a loose connection somewhere.

Though my intuition actually leans towards the mobo. For some reason I'm thinking maybe your CPU is just draining the mobo beyond it's abilities, like it's a voltage regulator problem or something. So if you're waiting for a new mobo (which you seemed to indicate) then tell us how things go once that's in place.

Hopefully someone else has other ideas, but that's all that I can think of at the moment.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ah ... interesting update. Too bad it came while I was writing my other post, but anybunny...

Sounds to me like it could be two things at this point.

Either it's your PSU, as you noted. It could just be a faulty PSU. These things happen, hence RMAs. I'd have thought your PSU good enough, and surely your voltages would dip somewhere were they not.

The other possiblity might be resource sharing. Maybe you've got IRQ conflicts or something. Try moving cards around into different slots.

<pre><font color=orange> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=orange> - Cedrik says kick that PC and show it who's boss!<font color=orange>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=orange></pre><p>
@ 198K of 200K!

OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I cant really move any cards around because I only have the Graphicscard in. Other things I got is: IDE DVD drive(master), IDE cd drive(slave), floppy, sata2 harddrive(windows on), ide harddrive (set to master). And the other things I wrote in description.

Can I somehow test if my psu gives out 550W? Because with my monitoring program i just see if the voltages are correct (I dont have any knowledge if these two are connected somehow)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The wattage of a PSU is almost completely a useless (and often meaningless) number. It's the amps available on each voltage rail that matters. So if your voltages are very close to what they should be, then your PSU is doing its job. (At least in the respect that it's supplying enough power for your hardware.)

Why not post your actual voltages and temps at rest and under a heavy load?

@ 198K of 200K!

OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I should do that if I could. But right now I cant get the computer working again :/

The computer did a shutdown and then I cant start it again. When I press start button the cpu fan, gpu fan rotates a little and then stops (also a chassi fan lightsup). Then I have to turn PSUs offswitch off and on before I can press startbutton again and then same goes with the fans and nothing happens :///

OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I have tested to disconnect the IDE harddrive and change gpu but same thing still happens. It dont startup its just ONOFF quickly. The cpu fan and my chassi rotates some laps and thats it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ouch. :(

You might also try reseating your heatsink, but I doubt that's your problem.

All that I can think of is to either wait for the new motherboard or take what you have in to a professional and pay them to figure out what's not right.

It might be a faulty PSU, but I'm still leaning towards the motherboard.

@ 198K of 200K!

OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
yea I hate computers from now on :p

First I bought a asus premium motherboard and a psu 500w (and all the other stuff). then I was stupid and accedently had the psu on 115V instead of 230V wich is in my country (sweden). That broke my psu (and my mobo i think, the green light is still workning but i cant start the computer with it). And now this motherboard (that also is completley new) doesnt work (i guess its the mobo cause I have tested with many parts now even another CPU and it still is the same that only fans gets on a second.

How can the mobo just break like that when my computer have been running on and off for 2days now? :/ All this stuff is really expensive too bah :(

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
To be honest, your CPU might have overloaded your motherboard's voltage regulators and done permanent damage there. :O I can't say for certain, but that's my leading guess. It <i>shouldn't</i> happen. Besides this being more known for Intel's dual-core than AMD's dual core, your motherboard's manufacturer should also clearly state if the motherboard can support the CPU or not.

Of course, it can also be that your power supply broke. Have you tried the same system with a different PSU?

Yeah, it's expensive. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt. But that's what RMAs are for. And that's the price of living on the bleeding edge. (It's called the bleeding edge for a reason. It'll bleed you dry if you're not careful.)

But in general, old and new, computers are pretty much always a lot of trouble. They're worse than cars and houses in that respect. :O

I've no idea why we bother some times. **ROFL**

@ 198K of 200K!

OmegaN

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I havent tested with another PSU yet. what is RMAs? is it some resellers or what.

haha yea I dont know why we bother :p

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
This sounds very similar to my problem <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=220413#220413" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=220413#220413</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
RMA is a Return Merchandise Authorization (or something like that) number that you get when you return the broken stuff to the online place you bought it from. It's also just sort of become a word of its own for returning stuff.

@ 198K of 200K!