[SOLVED] Computer struggling to run games its on spec to handle. Unstable FPS.

Nov 5, 2021
So i would like to think that i have a relatively okay mid range pc, but i would just like to say that upgrading parts is out of the question as im broke, but if you are certain without a doubt thats the problem then dont be shy to say.

Specs;
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g (Air cooled)
GPU: GTX 980TI OC Edition (Air cooled)
RAM: 1x 16GB Module 3000mhz (I know dual is better but 1x16 was cheaper than 2x8)
Storage: SSD for os, HDD for games.
Motherboard: B450-F Gaming
Fans: 2 Front Intake, 1 Back Outtake
Drivers: Latest
Power Options: Extreme (Google it, some regedit mod)
Background apps: Literally zero when i play games, i make sure to quit them.
Antivirus: None
Monitors: 1 75hz monitor (HDMI)
Overclocks: None (Other than gpu stock bios overclock)
Xmp: Enabled

Temps;
GPU Load: 60-70
CPU Load: 50-60
GPU Idle: 40-50
CPU Idle: 30-35

Usage:
GPU: Often 100 percent
CPU: Fluctuates more but mostly hits 100 percent aswell

Issue:
On games i should be able to run at a decent fps i get constant lag spikes and inconsistant unstable fps.
Example games: Apex Legends at medium settings, Minecraft at High-Medium Settings, Garrys mod at low settings, even 2d games like terraria.
Lowering the game settings seems to have literally no affect for some reason.

Im not sure if maybe my computer is struggling with handling vsync (which i cant not have disabled otherwise i get extreme screen tearing) but even when uncapped, it will drop a consistent 5-15 fps below my vysync rate anways.
I was wondering if maybe this could be something to do with uneven pressure in the mounting of my cpu or gpu, not a temp issue but im privy to the fact amd cpus only have one temperature sensor, so if some parts arent getting proper heating it wouldnt be easy to tell.

But i was also wondering if maybe it could be to do with some sort of bottleneck in which case what are some suggestions for future upgrades, but also some ways to cope for the meantime.

Thank you for any help its much appreciated

Solution
UPDATE: It turns out my cause of lag was from my mouse of all things!!! Turning it down from 1k to 500mhz has made games run way better at the unfortunate cost of added latency.

Lots of sources say that a cheaper pc can only handle one of two 1000mhz inputs, and as my mouse and keyboard are both 1000mhz this seems to be were the problem lies. Unfortunately my keyboards polling rate isnt changeable...

Which sounds like a bottle neck issue! I will save up to upgrade my cpu and ram! Thanks to everyone here for the help!
Nov 4, 2021
Does the computer run at 100% when idling or basic web browsing? Does it run high if you watch a 1080p YouTube video?

Also, try enabling G-Sync in your Nvidia software and disable V-Sync in game to see if that changes performance. If not, change it back.

Those are all games the CPU should be able to handle. Those are games my 8 year old 4 core/4 thread i5 can handle.
Minecraft should run better than that (unless you're going crazy with shaders).
Same for Gmod (should run fine until you start throwing tons of NPCs and physics objects around)
Apex on medium settings 1080p should run near 60 fps even with the integrated Vega 11
Something is off here.

Going for dual channel RAM is a wise decision no matter if you upgrade the CPU or not, so I'd start there.
Besides looking at CPU/GPU temps and load might also be worth worth checking RAM usage and disk activity while playing. Lag spikes and inconsistent frames sounds like the system has trouble loading stuff from disk.

This seems typical behaviour for single channel RAM setup. Significantly reduced performance, lag spikes and stuttering. You really need to sell that 1x16gb and get a 2x8gb kit, adding another 1x16gb is not guaranteed to work.

If nothing else you need to eliminate the single channel RAM from the problem. There might be something else but while the system is being choked by the RAM it’s going to be difficult to identify another problem.

Nov 5, 2021
UPDATE: It turns out my cause of lag was from my mouse of all things!!! Turning it down from 1k to 500mhz has made games run way better at the unfortunate cost of added latency.

Lots of sources say that a cheaper pc can only handle one of two 1000mhz inputs, and as my mouse and keyboard are both 1000mhz this seems to be were the problem lies. Unfortunately my keyboards polling rate isnt changeable...

Which sounds like a bottle neck issue! I will save up to upgrade my cpu and ram! Thanks to everyone here for the help!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS