Aug 18, 2021
Hello. I have been having this issue with my computer for quite some time and I don't know how to fix it. Whether I'm playing a game, working on homework, or even browsing the internet, I would randomly get a 1-2 second stuttering with the audio cutting out. I am not sure as to why this is happening. I've update my chipset as well as the drivers for my GPU and external sound card. I replaced my old GPU, EVGA RTX 2060 and EVGA 650 Watt PSU with an Aorus Master RTX 3080 and Gigabyte 850 Watt PSU. Could it be a problem with the new hardware?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: Aorus Master RTX 3080
RAM: G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB (two sets)
MOBO: Asus B450-F Gaming
PSU: Gigabyte P850GM PSU

Swapped Specs:
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 KO Gaming
PSU: EVGA 650GA PSU

Ralston18

Titan
Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Before doing anything open one or the other and simply observe system performance for awhile. "Awhile" being until the system becomes stable and simply idles without all sorts of changes.

Leave the window open but drag to one side so you can continue to watch.

Then do home work, browse the internet, etc. as normal. Watch for what changes when the stutters occur.

Do so gradually so if there is a change you will know what your last action was. That may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Aug 18, 2021
Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Before doing anything open one or the other and simply observe system performance for awhile. "Awhile" being until the system becomes stable and simply idles without all sorts of changes.

Leave the window open but drag to one side so you can continue to watch.

Then do home work, browse the internet, etc. as normal. Watch for what changes when the stutters occur.

Do so gradually so if there is a change you will know what your last action was. That may provide some clue as to what is happening.

I have been monitoring my system and I noticed that whenever the stutter happens, my GPU spikes to 100%, and then back down. From what I heard, this is something that happens with 30 series GPUs. I think my power supply might not be well equipped to handle the 3080 during those spikes in power draw.

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not necessarily with the intent to purchase a new PSU.

Immediate objective being to apply the various calculators to determine the PSU wattage needed for your system.

If any given component has a wattage range then use the high end wattage value. I also use the recommended PSU wattage - not what just the wattage that the GPU might use or is rated to require. Some consider that method (and fairly so) to be a bit of "too much".

Also invest in a good quality, highly reviewed PSU. No harm in extra wattage either - more room for peak power requirements and future growth.

Aug 18, 2021
FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not necessarily with the intent to purchase a new PSU.

Immediate objective being to apply the various calculators to determine the PSU wattage needed for your system.

If any given component has a wattage range then use the high end wattage value. I also use the recommended PSU wattage - not what just the wattage that the GPU might use or is rated to require. Some consider that method (and fairly so) to be a bit of "too much".

Also invest in a good quality, highly reviewed PSU. No harm in extra wattage either - more room for peak power requirements and future growth.
I used the PSU calculators provided in the link. My system ranges from 564 -611 watts total according to Cooler Master and Newegg(Seasonic didn't give a wattage estimate, but it did reccommend PSUs 850 watt and above), so my power supply should be fine handling my system. However, I have noticed that the brand of power supply in question (Gigabyte P850GM PSU) has garnered negative intention. I have had this power supply for over a year and it hasn't exploded yet, but the possibility of failures to occur, and in light of this problem, has me skeptical and is enticing me to swap. I am tempted to switch my PSU to my older 650 watt EVGA PSU just to see if the Gigabyte one is the actual cause of this issue.

Ralston18

Titan
Try the swap. Remember not to mix and match PSU cables between PSU's.

However, prior to doing so power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage.

Boot up again.

If the problem continues then swap the PSU.

= = = =

Also: do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However any voltages that are out of spec may well be a sign of a faltering/failing PSU.

Aug 18, 2021
Try the swap. Remember not to mix and match PSU cables between PSU's.

However, prior to doing so power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage.

Boot up again.

If the problem continues then swap the PSU.

= = = =

Also: do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However any voltages that are out of spec may well be a sign of a faltering/failing PSU.
I have changed by power supply to the EVGA one and got the same stuttering issue that I had before. It turns out it wasn't the PSU after all but something else. I looked at resource monitor while I was browsing the internet and didn't notice any spike in the graphs shown. I'm going to double check with task manager's performance to see if something's up.

Jan 25, 2022
Hello. I have been having this issue with my computer for quite some time and I don't know how to fix it. Whether I'm playing a game, working on homework, or even browsing the internet, I would randomly get a 1-2 second stuttering with the audio cutting out. I am not sure as to why this is happening. I've update my chipset as well as the drivers for my GPU and external sound card. I replaced my old GPU, EVGA RTX 2060 and EVGA 650 Watt PSU with an Aorus Master RTX 3080 and Gigabyte 850 Watt PSU. Could it be a problem with the new hardware?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: Aorus Master RTX 3080
RAM: G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB (two sets)
MOBO: Asus B450-F Gaming
PSU: Gigabyte P850GM PSU

Swapped Specs:
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 KO Gaming
PSU: EVGA 650GA PSU

This sounds like it would be an issue with the fTPM. I have posted a thread here, sharing my story about this and how I've fixed it. Check it out, let me know if you have any questions.