Computer suddenly gives me error when trying to play a game.

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello and firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I play Grand Theft Auto IV on my computer occasionally and it has always worked perfectly. I have never encountered any errors to do with playing the game. One day about a month ago, I changed my graphics card from Radeon HD4670 to HD3870. Everything remained to work fine including any games I tested including crysis and GRID and the performance also remained roughly the same.

However, when I came to play GTA IV today (first time since graphics card change), I was given the following error:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

An unhandled win32 exception occured in GTAIV.exe [xxxx]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time

Check the documentation index for 'Just-In-Time debugging, errors' for more information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have tried reinstalling GTA IV and it makes no difference. I have also tried searching in google and realised it is a general error always relating to a different .exe which is why i posted in the general XP section and not game section. I tried installing visual studio and enabling just-in-time but i dont even know what it is and just-in-time wasn't even there anyway. I have no clue as to what to do and it's extremely annoying. If someone has the answer or solution it would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

my computer:
athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz dual core
Radeon HD 3870
OCZ 800Mhz 3GB RAM
Western Digital 500GB HD

thanks. Rob.

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello, I did find the solution to this in the end. I re-installed Games For Windows Live. On top of that, the last times i have had any errors (a few times) I found that re-installing, or updating games for windows live, manually was the solution. I hope this helps.