[SOLVED] Condenser Microphone and Laptop Power Draw

Quadratojugal

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hello, I'm about to buy a condenser microphone which is the MAONO AU-A04 and use it on a laptop. I would like to ask if this mic needs a phantom power or is this plug 'n play? If it's plug 'n play, will it be dangerous it keeps feeding power from my laptop? There has been several but incoherent claims in forums where it said to function just fine, it broke their laptop, or low performance of mic due insufficient power draw from USB port. Hope someone can clarify these things for me.

Cheers.

Solution
Sorry bruh, I meant the Maono AU-A03 not the AU-A04 which is a USB mic. I have mixed them up.

Here's an Amazon link to the product: https://www.amazon.in/Maono-AU-A03-Condenser-Microphone-Podcast/dp/B07JJ62B1B

If you read the product listing it talks about this.

"Plug and recording: This is an updated version which improves the mic power supply, connect the 3.5mm jack of your computer to the microphone with the included cable, you can start recording, but if you want better recording effect, you might need an extra phantom power (not included) some pc models "

From that it seems they say to try it, if you have issues then get an audio interface with phantom power for it. Low cost mics like this are usually...
That is a USB mic, there is no such thing as phantom power for that connection, that is for a mic with XLR connection. I doubt you will find people on the forum with that exact mic, but since it has many reviews with a pretty high rating should be safe. If you are worried, get a mic from a known brand, HyperX has a new one that seems good, the Blu mics are good for the price. The Snowball is a good one in the $50 range.

Sorry bruh, I meant the Maono AU-A03 not the AU-A04 which is a USB mic. I have mixed them up.

Here's an Amazon link to the product: https://www.amazon.in/Maono-AU-A03-Condenser-Microphone-Podcast/dp/B07JJ62B1B

If you read the product listing it talks about this.

"Plug and recording: This is an updated version which improves the mic power supply, connect the 3.5mm jack of your computer to the microphone with the included cable, you can start recording, but if you want better recording effect, you might need an extra phantom power (not included) some pc models "

From that it seems they say to try it, if you have issues then get an audio interface with phantom power for it. Low cost mics like this are usually pretty bad.

Solution