[SOLVED] Configuring a second router on the same network for ethernet use.

Sep 14, 2021
So what I wanna do is take one of my old routers and configure it to my current network to use for JUST ethernet. So in short I want that new router to pick up the signal of my main one and then use an ethernet cable on the second one to plug into my device for a wired connection. I dont exactly know how to do this and I cant find very many guides on it that will work for me because I have limited access to the main router. (the reason of this is I'm a child and my father manages the main router with restricted access to the login page; so no device except his can log into the main router) We already do have a second one configured for just ethernet so that's how I know it's possible and we have a spare router that had decent speeds just sitting there so I thought it'd be a good addition to my device to have ethernet (it's a raspberry pi with only an ethernet connection avaliable so that's the point of this) If anyone could help me in this endeavor it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Solution
So what I wanna do is take one of my old routers and configure it to my current network to use for JUST ethernet. So in short I want that new router to pick up the signal of my main one and then use an ethernet cable on the second one to plug into my device for a wired connection. I dont exactly know how to do this and I cant find very many guides on it that will work for me because I have limited access to the main router. (the reason of this is I'm a child and my father manages the main router with restricted access to the login page; so no device except his can log into the main router) We already do have a second one configured for just ethernet so that's how I know it's possible and we have a spare router that had decent...

kanewolf

Titan
So what I wanna do is take one of my old routers and configure it to my current network to use for JUST ethernet. So in short I want that new router to pick up the signal of my main one and then use an ethernet cable on the second one to plug into my device for a wired connection. I dont exactly know how to do this and I cant find very many guides on it that will work for me because I have limited access to the main router. (the reason of this is I'm a child and my father manages the main router with restricted access to the login page; so no device except his can log into the main router) We already do have a second one configured for just ethernet so that's how I know it's possible and we have a spare router that had decent speeds just sitting there so I thought it'd be a good addition to my device to have ethernet (it's a raspberry pi with only an ethernet connection avaliable so that's the point of this) If anyone could help me in this endeavor it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.
If you want a WIFI input and an ethernet output, then you need a router with a "wireless bridge" mode. Some routers, like Asus, have that capability in the factory firmware. Other routers you have to use second source firmware like DD-WRT. So it would depend on what "old router" we are talking about.

Solution
Sep 14, 2021
Ask your father for assistance.

Or do you intend to steal internet connection without knowledge of your father?

no he'd know it's just something I wanna do by myself and the router does have wireless bridge mode as it's less than a year old.. The one I'm using currently is configured with DD-WRT though

You have to be careful there are 2 things people call "bridge" mode. The first which is very common lets the router act as a wifi source but this mode is better called AP than bridge. The other is called client-bridge. It is less common but dd-wrt does have it. It lets your router act as a end device.

It should be very simple, you set it to the correct form of bridge mode and put in the SSID and password of the main router you are trying to connect to.

Sep 14, 2021
You have to be careful there are 2 things people call "bridge" mode. The first which is very common lets the router act as a wifi source but this mode is better called AP than bridge. The other is called client-bridge. It is less common but dd-wrt does have it. It lets your router act as a end device.

It should be very simple, you set it to the correct form of bridge mode and put in the SSID and password of the main router you are trying to connect to.

Thank you, lol I'm experienced in a lot of things but networking is not one of them