Question Confused about HDMI/DisplayPort dummy plugs for remoting into my systems

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I have several systems I want to remote into, and rather than trying to find some junker monitors to plug into all of them, it's going to be a lot easier to just use a dummy plug.

First thing I noticed was that almost all of them appear to be 4K. I guess that's not a surprise since it's not like they need to actually display it so they can tell the system they are anything, but most of the devices I will be using to remote into them have a 1080p display, and I would rather not have to go through changing the resolution from 4k to 1080p every time I reinstall or reset a system. Do they make ones that identify as a 1080p monitor too? Or maybe ones that have a switch or something on them to switch between 1080p or 4k mode?

Also do I have to worry about cheap/shoddy ones? My first results were all on Amazon, but a lot of these were rather pricy, I also assume many of them are just simply coming straight from China anyway with a markup. Even Adafruit had one for $3.50 that looked just like many of the ones I saw on Amazon and Aliexpress. Since there isn't much to a dummy plug, would these suspiciously cheap $1.00-0.50 ones on Ali be the same thing, or is there such a thing as even a dummy plug being too cheap/problematic and I should avoid the ones on Ali?

I was planning to get a few 1080p and 4K plugs for both HDMI and DisplayPort, any advice on all of this?

Also, I noticed that I could not send any remote mouse or keyboard inputs without one physically plugged into the machine either, is there also such a thing as USB dummy keyboard/mouse plugs?

Last edited:
Why do you need these "dummy plugs"? I have multiple computers at home that dont have anything plugged into the video ports, frankly they have a power cord and ethernet and nothing else. From my main computer i can use Remote Desktop to remote to them and use them, most of them have teamviewer on then that i can use to remote into when out and about.