[SOLVED] Connecting Broadband cable to Laptop

Mar 31, 2020
I have a wifi router at my home with a broadband connection.I wanted to connect the broadband cable directly to my laptop.
After I do so an unidentified network with no internet status appears in my available networks bar.Remember I have no other cable so I directly want to connect the cable coming from my ISP to my laptop.I guess we have to use other cable to connect the router with the laptop.But I have no other cable so how to do it directly?

Solution
I have a wifi router at my home with a broadband connection.I wanted to connect the broadband cable directly to my laptop.
After I do so an unidentified network with no internet status appears in my available networks bar.Remember I have no other cable so I directly want to connect the cable coming from my ISP to my laptop.I guess we have to use other cable to connect the router with the laptop.But I have no other cable so how to do it directly?

You can't connect the external broadband line directly to your laptop, wired broadband connections require a router to decode the connection and make it available for your machine to connect to it.

Most broadband routers offer WiFi (and all modern laptops have WiFi built in) so can...

You can't connect the external broadband line directly to your laptop, wired broadband connections require a router to decode the connection and make it available for your machine to connect to it.

Most broadband routers offer WiFi (and all modern laptops have WiFi built in) so can you not connect to it wirelessly?

If not, then all you need is an Ethernet cable to go from the broadband router to your laptop and you should be good.

Solution
If your broadband comes over Ethernet cable (so you're able to connect it directly to your laptop), your ISP probably uses PPPoE protocol, so you must configure "dial-up" connection on your laptop over that Ethernet. You have to talk to your ISP about any details, you might need user name / password which are otherwise stored in the router.

Apr 22, 2020
Why do you want to connect the broadband cable direct to the laptop? I mean, you have said, that you have the router, why can't you just connect to Wi-Fi? I think, that the problem isn't the cable, because the computer finds new IP Address, when you connect it using WAN1, which is the sign, that something goes wrong. Frankly speaking, I don't like the cable broadband, because it can be met a lot of bags, like your one, during using it. I have the fibre broadband at home and I'm very happy about it. Maybe will you try it too? If you think, that it's difficult to change them, then there is a guide how to do it in two clicks on usave.co.uk. Hope it will help you, mate.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You don't.

There needs to be an intermediate device.
This is known as a modem. MOdulator/DEModulator.
In the old days, it was used to convert the signal in the phone line to something your computer can recognize.
Today, exact same function, but the coax or fiber line from your ISP.

Your PC lacks any circuitry to interpret that signal in the coax line.
You need a "modem". Currently, this is often in the same physical box as the "router".