Question Connecting Router to Built-in Ethernet Switch Board

Oct 6, 2019
My house in the UK is wired for Ethernet connectivity with 2 sockets in every room. Downstairs in the hall cupboard I have a board with masses of Ethernet switches. There is a row of 8 on the top line and then 16 numbered Ethernet sockets on the bottom line. There is wiring behind these boards but according to the engineer the top 8 are not connected to the bottom 16. The numbered bottom 16 relate to the ones found in each room of the house.
I would like to make this board live by somehow connecting my router to the top row and thereby making the bottom 16 live. Can you please advise the easiest way I can do this? Happy to send photos if that helps. Many thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Did the engineer use the words "patch panel"?

I believe that that is what your house has installed versus a switch.

Patch panel images:

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/patch-panels

Patch panels can be configured in multiple ways so some photographs will be quite useful so others can see what you are working with.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Likewise if you google for "patch panel images and diagrams" you will quickly get a sense of how the physical connections are installed both in general terms and with respect to your house.

Plus your patch panel is likely to have some space for routers and switches that in turn provide ethernet connectivity to the various wall jacks in your house.

Each port in the router will be connected to a patch panel port and then onward to the network device being served by the respective room ethernet wall outlet. As I understand your description the router's LAN ports would be connected to the bottom row of 16 ports.

The top 8 may be extra/unused Ethernet (RJ45) spares or they could be telephone (RJ11). Take a close look at the ports and wiring to be sure about the existing wires and connections.

Do post some photographs.

Oct 6, 2019
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. That sounds very likely and the engineer probably did. So I need to get the router connected to the patch panel somehow in order to get the connectivity, is that right?

Herewith a photo:

dUFSjW5.jpg

If you can possibly explain, in layman terms, how I get this board connected, I would really appreciate it.
Many thanks.