[SOLVED] Considering a new build. Been out of the loop for 5 years, could use some help.

MRPyro

Honorable
Apr 11, 2015
Hi there,

Title pretty much explains it all. I'm looking to create a new build which will give me a significant upgrade over what I have got now.

Parts:
MSI Z97 GAMING 3
Intel I7 4790K
NVIIA GeForce GTX 1080
HyperX FURY Series (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz
BenQ 1080p Monitor

I game and do a lot of work in Premiere Pro. I've noticed Premiere really chugging lately when certain effects are used which can drastically slow down my work. Although pretty good for 1080p gaming I've started to notice a few performance issues in newer titles and I'd like to make the jump to 1440p 144hz anyway.
Price isn't too much of an issue, as long as it's reasonable I could always purchase a new part every month instead of splashing big money in one go. I think the RTX 3070 would be a significant upgrade from the GTX 1080 so I'm leaning more towards that. What do you think? What parts would compliment a 3070 or should I get something completely different?

Thanks for your interest.

Solution
Only found reviews on 850 and 650w models of GQ series seems okay, not high end but fine.

If i had that rig, first i would optmize what i have including overclocking ram / gpu / cpu. Potentially next step would be upgrading to 30 series gpu like 3070. That way you dont lose any money before doing full system upgrade, just transfer the psu / gpu to your new system and your set (if you decide to get new parts)
Hello, "noticed Premiere really chugging lately " if you had this issue just pop up its probably operating system related, have you monitored ram / cpu usage during idle?
Google "userbenchmark" download that and before running it close all games / browsers then do it, it gives a link to your system specs and if theres obvious problems you will see it , for example high backround cpu usage. You can monitor ram usage with task manager "ctrl+alt+del" and performance menu.

i7-4790k paired with gtx 1080 is a decent combo, getting new processor (amd or intel) you not only need new motherboard but also ddr4 ram.
Going 1440p just increase the load on the graphics card not the processor ( very little )

3000 series graphics card is a solid choice if your power supply can handle it, what psu you have? new Power supply (if needed) and gpu carry nicely to new system anyway so you dont lose any money.

MRPyro

Honorable
Apr 11, 2015
Hello, "noticed Premiere really chugging lately " if you had this issue just pop up its probably operating system related, have you monitored ram / cpu usage during idle?
Google "userbenchmark" download that and before running it close all games / browsers then do it, it gives a link to your system specs and if theres obvious problems you will see it , for example high backround cpu usage. You can monitor ram usage with task manager "ctrl+alt+del" and performance menu.

i7-4790k paired with gtx 1080 is a decent combo, getting new processor (amd or intel) you not only need new motherboard but also ddr4 ram.
Going 1440p just increase the load on the graphics card not the processor ( very little )

3000 series graphics card is a solid choice if your power supply can handle it, what psu you have? new Power supply (if needed) and gpu carry nicely to new system anyway so you dont lose any money.
Thanks! I'll download "userbenchmark" and check out the results. My PSU is a "EVGA 750 W GQ Series". I forgot to mention that in the original post. But I am willing to buy new parts to replace.

Only found reviews on 850 and 650w models of GQ series seems okay, not high end but fine.

If i had that rig, first i would optmize what i have including overclocking ram / gpu / cpu. Potentially next step would be upgrading to 30 series gpu like 3070. That way you dont lose any money before doing full system upgrade, just transfer the psu / gpu to your new system and your set (if you decide to get new parts)

Solution