cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Last year, we've been getting good internet connections, re-setting it was seldom. This year, we've been getting more and more internet disconnection. As of Summer of 2019, it has just gotten worst. Our customer support told us that it was time to upgrade from the XB3 model to the XB6 model and as soon we hooked it up, the internet was fast and stable for a while, then it started to degrade and made it even worst. It is now making our internet unusable and our 4k TV unstreamable.

What can we do to get our internet back up?

Any solutions would be great! We want our stable internet connection back so that my parent can stream movies on Amazon at high quality with no buffering!

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
When downloading a large file. Is it just constantly slow? Or does it burst up to the full speed and go down over and over? Open a pingtest site on one of the computers connected to it and see if the ping randomly goes waaaaay up and down.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
When downloading a large file. Is it just constantly slow? Or does it burst up to the full speed and go down over and over? Open a pingtest site on one of the computers connected to it and see if the ping randomly goes waaaaay up and down.
Doing that just only sends packages saying it is can send and receive the package no matter how strong or weak the speed is. What matters is trying to get a consistent 400mpbs down and 30-50+ on wireless devices. That's what we care about right now.

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
I've had this issue before mate. And the issue turned out to be that the ping would shoot up to like 3000 from being at 40. And it'd lose some of the data as well. Also. 802.11n maxes out at about 45 megabits per second in practice even though the theoretical is much higher. So 50+ is really hard to achieve. The cause of the issue turned out to be that the cable from our house to the pole was bad and they put in a new one.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
I've had this issue before mate. And the issue turned out to be that the ping would shoot up to like 3000 from being at 40. And it'd lose some of the data as well. Also. 802.11n maxes out at about 45 megabits per second in practice even though the theoretical is much higher. So 50+ is really hard to achieve. The cause of the issue turned out to be that the cable from our house to the pole was bad and they put in a new one.
I swear, I found an old thread on Xfinity from like 2014, and they said a similar solution like what you said switching to 802.11n maxes out your download speed. By the way if you're wondering what my ping test look like, here it is in the screenshot below.

Iu2NBNc.jpg

This is coming from my wireless desktop in my 1700 sqft. house on the second floor adjacent from were the XB6 is located.

So should I try changing my wifi mode to 802.11n? As shown in my xfinity wifi edit page.

VzKw5mQ.png

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
Your ping looks to be good. Try switching it to N only. In doing so the devices you have connected may make you type the password in again. Also. if you have a lot of wireless networks around you you could try changing the channel to a lesser used one. Like 3 or 11.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Your ping looks to be good. Try switching it to N only. In doing so the devices you have connected may make you type the password in again. Also. if you have a lot of wireless networks around you you could try changing the channel to a lesser used one. Like 3 or 11.
What do the channels do? What do the numbers mean on a scale from low to big numbers?

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
The wireless signal is broadcast at 2.4ghz. The channel changes the broadcast wavelength very minorly so that if a bunch of networks around you use the same one it won't cause interference with yours.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
The wireless signal is broadcast at 2.4ghz. The channel changes the broadcast wavelength very minorly so that if a bunch of networks around you use the same one it won't cause interference with yours.
I got it. So is basically like giving more devices to allow for better connections? Because we have 1 office computer that runs on ethernet, at least 2 - 3 wireless desktop/laptop, two 4k TVs, and a few tablets. Would allowing more channels allow more devices to have faster speed than it was before?

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
the channel has nothing to do with the number of devices allowed to connect. It's about the broadcast frequency. It's similar to how if you had two radio stations broadcast on 106.5 then the signal would be significantly distorted. Essentually channel 1-11 change the broadcast frequency of the actual wifi signal coming from the router. Making it so that if there is any interference from other networks it will be more minor. Also. If your streaming tv's are through a lot of walls. using the 2.4ghz network will work better than 5 because even though 5 is faster, It doesn't go through walls as well.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
the channel has nothing to do with the number of devices allowed to connect. It's about the broadcast frequency. It's similar to how if you had two radio stations broadcast on 106.5 then the signal would be significantly distorted. Essentually channel 1-11 change the broadcast frequency of the actual wifi signal coming from the router. Making it so that if there is any interference from other networks it will be more minor. Also. If your streaming tv's are through a lot of walls. using the 2.4ghz network will work better than 5 because even though 5 is faster, It doesn't go through walls as well.
Is it recommended to change the settings on the computer that is connected to the modem with the ethernet cable for better connectivity and to ensure it is working properly vs trying to change the settings with difficulty over bad wifi and cellular signal?

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Okay. Good luck to you
Hi, good morning.

So I just did what you asked me to do to change my Xfinity WiFi settings and on my office computer, I was getting nearly 500 mpbs for down. So I now see a bit of an improvement in stability and WiFi connections.

Here is what my "wireless" desktop computer speed is right now after making the changes. Let me know if you think that is a much better improvement? (See 3 images below).

Before, I would get less than 10 mbps and internet disconnection more frequently, now it seems to be much more stable. If the internet still disconnects later today, it might probably be the network in the area. But for now, hopefully this is just a software issue. (fingers crossed).

8VO6KDz.jpg

My7Tteg.jpg

QZKxtrQ.jpg