[SOLVED] Constant video buffering above 720p

Jul 4, 2021
Since yesterday afternoon, I cannot watch videos from sites such as youtube or vimeo above 720p due to constant stuttering and buffering. My internet speed is fine on this laptop: around 70mbps down and 20mbps up, and beforehand I could watch videos comfortably at 1440p without any buffering.

I can watch livestreams on sites such as twitch at 1080p60 with no stuttering however, so I don't really know what has caused this. I have tried things such as disabling hardware acceleration, clearing cache, trying a different web browser and none of them have done anything. This is all just very sudden.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

Solution
The first things that should be tried in situations like yours is to turn your router off for a couple of minutes and restart your laptop by choosing RESTART from the Windows power options. Those two tips can frequently work miracles.

If that doesn't work then perhaps your Internet provider is having problems with routing or something else so take your laptop over to a friend or neighbour's and try using their connection. Alternatively, connect your laptop to your smartphone's wireless hotspot or even try Vimeo and YouTube from your phone. If it is an ISP problem then they're usually transient and will resolve spontaneously.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
The first things that should be tried in situations like yours is to turn your router off for a couple of minutes and restart your laptop by choosing RESTART from the Windows power options. Those two tips can frequently work miracles.

If that doesn't work then perhaps your Internet provider is having problems with routing or something else so take your laptop over to a friend or neighbour's and try using their connection. Alternatively, connect your laptop to your smartphone's wireless hotspot or even try Vimeo and YouTube from your phone. If it is an ISP problem then they're usually transient and will resolve spontaneously.

Solution