Question Constantly seeing black and white squares on screen

Kai0261

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2014
I'm constantly seeing black checkered squares on the screen, it only happens when on a window like chrome or file explorer. I've swapped the GPU and the DisplayPort cable but it does not make a difference. I have also tried clean reinstalling the display drivers. The issue does not occur on desktop or when running games (I also have wallpaper engine running). I have two monitors and it only happens on the main monitor. Below are my specs:

GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 10G
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: G. Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
PSU: Corsair RM850
Mobo: MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk Wi-Fi, BIOS 7C84v1F
Main Monitor: MSI MAG274QRF
Second Monitor: MSI MP273A

All help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. BIOS version for your motherboard?

How old is the PSU in your build?

Try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, then manually install the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminstrator.

Kai0261

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2014
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. BIOS version for your motherboard?

How old is the PSU in your build?

Try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, then manually install the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminstrator.
Sorry, I've added in the mobo details. Its a MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk Wifi and BIOS version 7C84v1F
The PSU I've had for almost 2 years now. I've tried running DDU and reinstalling the GPU drivers but did not resolve the issue.