xalcer13

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Hi, I'm building my first pc and would like to know which cooler would you recommend for a i5 9600k. I've never OCed a CPU before so, if I do, I won't push it to it's max capacitiy. The case allows coolers up to 175 mm, so there shouldn't be a problem in that matter.

Solution
For absolute overkill the Noctua NH-D15, it is a beast.

Or some other options:

Cryorig H7 or the slightly smaller H5
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Or on the cheaper side which still should be fine for stock and slight overclock the Cooler master Hyper 212 Black
For absolute overkill the Noctua NH-D15, it is a beast.

Or some other options:

Cryorig H7 or the slightly smaller H5
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Or on the cheaper side which still should be fine for stock and slight overclock the Cooler master Hyper 212 Black

Solution

xalcer13

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Well, my expectations are not to blow up the computer XD

I was expecting to spend around 40€, but could rise it to 80€ if the difference is worth it. RGB would be neat, but not obligatory. The motherboard, the ram and four 140mm coolers that the case has are RGB, so I'm served in that matter. In the case of sound, I pretty much use the pc all day, so I rather not have a plane rotor in my ear constantly.

I was curious about water cooling, but I've never used it before so I'm not sure. It can look really good or go really bad if I install it wrong and leaks.

Well, my expectations are not to blow up the computer XD

I was expecting to spend around 40€, but could rise it to 80€ if the difference is worth it. RGB would be neat, but not obligatory. The motherboard, the ram and four 140mm coolers that the case has are RGB, so I'm served in that matter. In the case of sound, I pretty much use the pc all day, so I rather not have a plane rotor in my ear constantly.

I was curious about water cooling, but I've never used it before so I'm not sure. It can look really good or go really bad if I install it wrong and leaks.

I would get the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Quiet, effective, and somewhat in budget.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Mugen is about the right size. It's not overly huge like the D15/S or one of the budget coolers. So it'll handle a respectable OC, it's seriously quiet and very well made. Definitely a solid choice. Other options in that range would be the beQuiet DarkRock 3/4, Cryorig H5 etc.

Basically liquid and air are the same thing, as far as ranges go. The small 120mm are equitable to the budget coolers like the Hyper212 evo and Cryorig H7. The big 120mm like the H80i and the 140mm aios are equitable to the H5, DR 3/4 etc. And that continues upto the 250w+ Noctua NH-D15 and the better 240/280mm aios. The only real advantage liquid has over air is displacement. Aircoolers can only be so big, so are limited to 250w range, whereas the 280mm aios can hit 350w, the 360mm can hit 450w. But if the cpu doesn't put out over 250w, then air = liquid for ability, it'll be on specific coolers and efficiency as to whether it gets slightly better temps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The NH-D15S yes, the older NH-D15 maybe not. Intrinsically the same cooler but the S only has a single, centered fan, the heatpipes are offset a few mm to one side to allow for better clearance on gpu's with backplates, they are also offset slightly to the rear to allow better clearance for a 2nd fan and ram, if you want it. There's only around 3-4°C difference at maximim speeds, and with the output of the 9600k and ability of either of those 2 Noctua's, there's no reason fans should ever reach maximum.

xalcer13

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Thank you guys for all the recommendations! I think I'm going to go with the NH-D15S. A bit more pricey than what I was expecting to spend but seems like it's really worth it. Maybe in the future I'll try to get my hands in one of the water coolers and see how they work.