Question Cooling with deep cool tesseract. Need help please!

Greason

Prominent
May 20, 2019
I've recently upgraded my budget build to a better budget build. I added an 8g gpu (xfx Rx 570) with a 750w power supply. I also have an AMD 8350 4.0 GHz 8core on an MSI 970 gaming motherboard. I noticed my cpu was getting up there in temp so I added a Corsair H70 liquid cooling unit.
The instructions said to point the fan inward. I thought that seemed counterproductive but it seemed to work. Now my GPU is getting up there. About 75-80c. Then I flipped the direction and feel like I'm never gonna figure this out lol. Any suggestions on fan placements? I bought an extra 140mm fan to try and exhaust some heat from the side.
Still kinda new at this need some input.
Thanks!!!!

DavidM012

Distinguished
First idea: Take the 140mm fan and rest it on the back of the gpu to huff directly on the mobo vrm heat sink. This will replace air flow that is lost when using a aio loop rather than an air cooler.

Second idea: If temps are really troubling you, go into the bios and switch off 2 cores. Won't impact anything much and can reduce temps so you can use it 'til you've sorted out the cooler. I mean I don't mean you can detach the cooler only that it will bring temps down. for the moment.

Third idea: What thermal paste? Is the the cooler properly attached? Making good contact with the cpu?

Fourth idea: I think you don't have any front intake or rear exhaust fans. Apart from the one 140mm. 2 intake 2 exhaust would be preferable.

What are your cpu temps exactly? Best get a read from AMD overdrive.

This is my cooler. for an fx Aka. The Thing. Now using bucket of water for a reservoir. Temps are: Cool. That 34c is with fallout 4 alt tabbed in the background and the 38 is fallout 4 fullscreen. 1200x1600 ultra. Can do 1080p but I can't tell the difference.

Looked up your cooler didn't see the tdp specified on the manufacturer page. The radiator is thicker than most 120mm's but I still don't think it's really enough. The fx is 125w tdp but I'm not sure how much those figures mean. It's a cpu that is a bit on the warm side and pulls a lot of power under load. Estimates range to 220w at default clocks. Which I think means an equal amount of heat.

Generally people have done well with a noctua nh-d15 or a corsair h100i with it from what I've read on the forum previously. But that was for overclocking. Your board has a 6+2 power phase that should be perfect at default but is a bit behind some of the 990fx 8+2 digital power phases so I wouldn't like to say how well it could overclock, probably best not to if you're already struggling with temps.

Also question, brand of psu? A poor quality unit on a 8350 is troublesome.

The scythe fuma rev b benches like the noctua nh-d15 but is more compact at 150mm chassis clearance vs 165mm. The noctua can passively cool in some cases, without the fans running.

At default speeds your cooler should be doing the job so check in the bios that your cpu vCore isn't too high. I'd expect it to be around 1.32 volts at default.

Gpu temps not so hot either what style of cooler is it, blower style or bare heatsink and twin fans ?

I'd be wondering if somehow too much power wasn't going into the system, if the voltages are off somehow but, that isn't exactly my area of expertise. Maybe there are tweaks you can do for the gpu, such as increase the fan speed, or particularly, lower the gpu voltage while staying at default clock speeds. Under volting will reduce temps a bit, if increasing fan speed doesn't do a lot. In radeon settings. Not sure about the under volting thing on a radeon. I'm on a nvidia at the moment.

What chassis are you using? Some folks make a fuss about air flow and all that, I don't bother & leave the side panels off. The Thing is as good a cooler as any. With a mild overclock my system is pretty good for an fx build overall too. I could rev it up to 4.5-.4.7 but, doesn't really have any huge effect on frame rates, on the heap of ageing titles in my inventory!

Might also venture to ask, when did you buy your system, was a pre-built or did you build it from parts purchased seperately? & how much you paid for it. Since these are the days when fx is obsolete and difficult to get rid of but still I've seen some highly overblown prices on fx builds. My system cost about £250 from parts nearly 4 years ago. £99 board, £70ish cpu (when it was an fx4350) and £50 ram and a few other odds and ends.

I think that you prolly spent too much on the h70 if it's the £109 unit I'm seeing on Corsair's page. The scythe fuma rev b is around £55 and will be adequate for overclocking too.

Last edited:

Greason

Prominent
May 20, 2019
First idea: Take the 140mm fan and rest it on the back of the gpu to huff directly on the mobo vrm heat sink. This will replace air flow that is lost when using a aio loop rather than an air cooler.

Second idea: If temps are really troubling you, go into the bios and switch off 2 cores. Won't impact anything much and can reduce temps so you can use it 'til you've sorted out the cooler. I mean I don't mean you can detach the cooler only that it will bring temps down. for the moment.

Third idea: What thermal paste? Is the the cooler properly attached? Making good contact with the cpu?

Fourth idea: I think you don't have any front intake or rear exhaust fans. Apart from the one 140mm. 2 intake 2 exhaust would be preferable.

What are your cpu temps exactly? Best get a read from AMD overdrive.

This is my cooler. for an fx Aka. The Thing. Now using bucket of water for a reservoir. Temps are: Cool. That 34c is with fallout 4 alt tabbed in the background and the 38 is fallout 4 fullscreen. 1200x1600 ultra. Can do 1080p but I can't tell the difference.

Looked up your cooler didn't see the tdp specified on the manufacturer page. The radiator is thicker than most 120mm's but I still don't think it's really enough. The fx is 125w tdp but I'm not sure how much those figures mean. It's a cpu that is a bit on the warm side and pulls a lot of power under load. Estimates range to 220w at default clocks. Which I think means an equal amount of heat.

Generally people have done well with a noctua nh-d15 or a corsair h100i with it from what I've read on the forum previously. But that was for overclocking. Your board has a 6+2 power phase that should be perfect at default but is a bit behind some of the 990fx 8+2 digital power phases so I wouldn't like to say how well it could overclock, probably best not to if you're already struggling with temps.

Also question, brand of psu? A poor quality unit on a 8350 is troublesome.

The scythe fuma rev b benches like the noctua nh-d15 but is more compact at 150mm chassis clearance vs 165mm. The noctua can passively cool in some cases, without the fans running.

At default speeds your cooler should be doing the job so check in the bios that your cpu vCore isn't too high. I'd expect it to be around 1.32 volts at default.

Gpu temps not so hot either what style of cooler is it, blower style or bare heatsink and twin fans ?

I'd be wondering if somehow too much power wasn't going into the system, if the voltages are off somehow but, that isn't exactly my area of expertise. Maybe there are tweaks you can do for the gpu, such as increase the fan speed, or particularly, lower the gpu voltage while staying at default clock speeds. Under volting will reduce temps a bit, if increasing fan speed doesn't do a lot. In radeon settings. Not sure about the under volting thing on a radeon. I'm on a nvidia at the moment.

What chassis are you using? Some folks make a fuss about air flow and all that, I don't bother & leave the side panels off. The Thing is as good a cooler as any. With a mild overclock my system is pretty good for an fx build overall too. I could rev it up to 4.5-.4.7 but, doesn't really have any huge effect on frame rates, on the heap of ageing titles in my inventory!

Might also venture to ask, when did you buy your system, was a pre-built or did you build it from parts purchased seperately? & how much you paid for it. Since these are the days when fx is obsolete and difficult to get rid of but still I've seen some highly overblown prices on fx builds. My system cost about £250 from parts nearly 4 years ago. £99 board, £70ish cpu (when it was an fx4350) and £50 ram and a few other odds and ends.

I think that you prolly spent too much on the h70 if it's the £109 unit I'm seeing on Corsair's page. The scythe fuma rev b is around £55 and will be adequate for overclocking too.
The liquid cooler was on sale, and I forgot to mention the CPU temps are amazing. It's the GPU that's getting up there.

I also have front intake and using Corsair fans Nd radiator as rear exhaust.
Also have a 120 on top for exhaust and a 140 on the side next to the GPU for intake.

DavidM012

Distinguished
That leaves under volting your gpu to bring down temps or speeding up the fans in radeon settings. Should be ok with fans as intake/exhaust so maybe it's silicon lottery thing. You could also try re-pasting the heat sink, not all that difficult sometimes the thermal paste on the gpu is really rubbish. Undo the 4 screws on the back and the heat sink should come off, hopefully doesn't need to hacksaw a line in the screw heads to unstick them with a standard flat screw driver, they can be difficult to remove sometimes.

Try some grizzly cryonaught or just plain mx 4 or gelid extreme oc, wouldn't recommend liquid metal, which is conductive, splashable, and pc destructible.

A repaste will prolly bring down gpu temps. more than anything and you could under volt it too, so that will hopefully be that.

Reactions: Greason

Greason

Prominent
May 20, 2019
That leaves under volting your gpu to bring down temps or speeding up the fans in radeon settings. Should be ok with fans as intake/exhaust so maybe it's silicon lottery thing. You could also try re-pasting the heat sink, not all that difficult sometimes the thermal paste on the gpu is really rubbish. Undo the 4 screws on the back and the heat sink should come off, hopefully doesn't need to hacksaw a line in the screw heads to unstick them with a standard flat screw driver, they can be difficult to remove sometimes.

Try some grizzly cryonaught or just plain mx 4 or gelid extreme oc, wouldn't recommend liquid metal, which is conductive, splashable, and pc destructible.

A repaste will prolly bring down gpu temps. more than anything and you could under volt it too, so that will hopefully be that.
Thanks!!!!