Copy SOME files to an SSD

davidfersan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
I want to transfer the images I have on my 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD. I know I can't clone the drive because one is "bigger" than the other. I just want to transfer 80GB of images from one drive to another, and then transfer them back from SSD to HDD. Can I do that? What do I need to do that?

Solution
As far as software there is nothing specific you need to just move image files.

As far as hardware goes, if you have a desktop you just hook it up inside the case to a sata port and power (with PC off).
If you have a laptop or no available SATA ports on desktop you will need a usb3.0 to sata adapter.
As far as software there is nothing specific you need to just move image files.

As far as hardware goes, if you have a desktop you just hook it up inside the case to a sata port and power (with PC off).
If you have a laptop or no available SATA ports on desktop you will need a usb3.0 to sata adapter.

Solution

davidfersan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

I've read that some software and some cables are not compatible. How can I tell before buying?

USAFRet

Titan

Desktop: Regular SATA cables. Windows File Explorer. Done.
Laptop: a USB dock would work.

popatim

Titan
Please don't use the MOVE feature of windows explorer. Use COPY and then PASTE the files into their new location. This lets you verify the files copied successfully before deleting the originals.

Move sometimes messes up and then deletes your originals anyway leaving you trying to rescue files that have likely been overwritten if you didnt catch it quick enough.

davidfersan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

I'll take that into account. Thank you