djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
So, I was trying out some custom bios for my rx 580 but in between flashing the pc crashed. Thus the bios on the gpu are corrupted. Thankfully, the gpu has dual bios that i can enable with a switch so I can use it. The cpu is a ryzen 5 1600 af. How do I fix the broken bios? I have kept a copy of the original bios on my system.

GPU VBIOS flashing is risky and should only be done if trying to fix a specific issue or you are willing to accept the risk.

I have not done this but have read of a possible solution. Put another AMD gpu in the pc and use it as the master gpu connected to the monitor. Put the gpu with the corrupt VBIOS in another pcie x16 slot. This should allow the system to be used while being able to see the corrupt VBIOS of the 2nd gpu and hopefully be able to re-flash it.

Reactions: dotas1

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
GPU VBIOS flashing is risky and should only be done if trying to fix a specific issue or you are willing to accept the risk.

I have not done this but have read of a possible solution. Put another AMD gpu in the pc and use it as the master gpu connected to the monitor. Put the gpu with the corrupt VBIOS in another pcie x16 slot. This should allow the system to be used while being able to see the corrupt VBIOS of the 2nd gpu and hopefully be able to re-flash it.
Would a nvidia gpu work?

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
I have never tried this technique but from what I read it has to be both AMD or both NVIDIA. If the master gpu is not the right brand the flash software won’t run.
I think I have a pc laying around with an amd apu. would that work?

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
I figured it out. So what I did was , since the gpu has dual bios, I switched the bios on the fly once I got into windows and into the vbios flashing program, flashed the bios and now it works