Corsair 700d and cord lengths

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hi,

I am currently in the market for a new computer case and power supply to make way for a future crossfire configuration. My choices in cases are the Corsair 700d and the Cooler Master ATCS 840. My choices in the power supplies are the Corsair 650TX and the Kingwin 700 Modular. I'm leaning towards the Corsair because of a $40 rebate which would put it in the price range of the Cooler Master, and I'm also inclined to get the Corsair PSU if I do get the 700d.

I am cooling my CPU with an H50, so the 700d's air cooling weakness will be less relevant.

My main concern with these cases is space. I am unsure if the cords will reach where I want them to. I've been Googling around, and have heard of people having to push their PSU back just to get the 12v 4 pin cable to reach. Please dismiss or confirm these stories if possible.

In a nutshell, I'm having difficulty deciding. If anyone has any input, I would be very grateful.

Solution

AMW1011

Distinguished

Tell that to your GPU(s) bro. Also, the H50 is not that great and won't benefit from bad ambient temperatures, or will worsen them.

The ATCS 840 is a good case, just make sure to get some good 120mm fans in the middle to focus the airflow.

How about some Lian Li's?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112243&Tpk=pc-a70f
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_387&products_id=25008

Enjoy.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
^^ I will consider that.

AMW1011, Would it make a difference if my GPUs were just exhaust? Also, I think I could get good airflow going if I put three 120mm fans in the top as exhaust and all of the fans in the bottom as intakes. Any thoughts?

I have considered Lian-li. Not sure if I'm mature enough for that. What I mean is I think the corsair looks better. Still, nothings out of the question.

AMW1011

Distinguished

The Lian Li is extremely clean, classy, and refined. But some LED fans can still make it fun. :D

Also, a side panel:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_158_280&products_id=24778

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

The CM ATCS 840 is a BIG case. No if's ands or buts. But the thing I like about it is the removable MOBO tray. You can install everything and connect the cables while the tray is outside of the case. They also give you an extension cable for the 4/8 pin ATX power cable (You'll need it for a bottom mount PSU). Great for troubeshooting and performing some thermal testing when trying to overclock. A PSU can be mounted either top or bottom, but if mounted on the top, you need to remove one of the top case fans (they give you brackets to firmly mount the PSU).

Like one reviewer wrote "This may be the last case you ever have to buy!)

See it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119187&cm_re=cooler_master_atcs_840_full_tower-_-11-119-187-_-Product

Hope this helps.

Solution

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
So if I'm correct in thinking, the 840 is large even by Full tower standards. I looked at one at Micro Center, though I could only see the front. It struck me as very wide, and a bit clunky. Though I did like the pop up USB thing on the top.

AMW1011-- I admit that the Lian Li is growing on me. How hard would it be to make the interior black? I don't like the prices of the accessories, but they are livable.

So just another 700d question, would I experience any change in my temperatures from my current case (CM 690)? I ask because I need more room to work with, and would like more space for my second GPU. Plus the sleek look. If I can maintain the same ambient temps (37C) that I have now, than I might get a 700d.

I have a bit of a Corsair thing, they just strike me as a great brand to buy from.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Why do you want the interior black? Honestly, the silver finish is quite nice, you may like it. Luckily, you can strip the Lian Li to the bare frame and paint it, but it may take awhile.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Ah! Well that's certainly nice. That changes everything.

I'm now split between the Lian-Li and the 700d. I do like the Lian, and some of the features are nice, but the cable management on the 700d looks very appealing.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Lian_Li_PC-A70F_03.jpg

Good luck beating the cable management of that, you can easily hide all the cables behind the motherboard tray. The only thing the 700D has is that you can get cables through the holes on the right side of the motherboard, but you can route them at the edge of the tray, or preferably, through the CPU backplate area to make it look really clean. With the 700D, you have those ugly rubber holes.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I think I've made a decision. I read a lot of reviews and have been lead to believe that the Cooler Master 840 is the best case for me. I don't plan on doing full on water cooling in the future, so the 700d probably isn't for me. The Lian Li is nice, but it lacks the number of fans required to cool my future crossfire. The 840 has holes for cable management, a removable motherboard tray, the hard drive cages I'm used to and many other cool features. Also it is cheap compared to the Corsair.

Thanks for the input, and sorry for drawing it out this far. I wanted to be 100% sure.

I am buying a Corsair power supply, so at least I'm getting that part in that brand.

And the next time I build a PC, which will be within 2 years probably, I will get the Lian Li, maybe a few models up.

Thanks

AMW1011

Distinguished

I doubt the Lian Li will have an insufficient number of fans if you add the top panel I listed. That is 5-6 120mm fans and 2 140mm fans. Not exactly light on the cooling.

The ATCS 840 is a great case, just make sure to get some decent 120mm fans in the middle emplacements to focus that intake, it will make the average cooling, great cooling.