[SOLVED] Corsair H100i gtx fan speed error

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
I keep getting this error when I boot up
View: https://imgur.com/cLVLTPK

The solution to get it to boot skipping over this was to set in the bios under the monitor tab cpu fan speed to ignore
View: https://imgur.com/xlXg954

But I really want to overclock and im having issues with it not registering and my computer freaks out before even reaching 70C in a game and shuts off.
Now here is where I have my Corsair H100i GTX AIO plugged into on my board. The Red box is a blown-up image and the green circle is what header my AIO is currently in.
View: https://imgur.com/CKGx8rA

Now I have looked through this forum for similar issues but non resolved my issue and most of them seemed to be a bad AIO.
My AIO is a bit old but yes it does work, I tested it on my new setup and my old setup and the fans are newer and both work. I tried all 3 of the headers on my board in the red box in that picture above and none seem to resolve it issue. Next my AIO fans dont plug into the board but rather there own header attached to my AIO as seen here.
View: https://imgur.com/mDwpFuJ

I unplugged my fans a dozen times.
The fans are the Corsair SP120 Red led
MB is the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI (its latest bios driver 7704)
Corsair icue/link is installed.
Windows 10 64 bit (up to date)

Solution
Ya unfortunately corsair didn't give enough options for the control over the cooler itself.

Yes the fx was ddr3 so yes.
I bought g.skill flare x 3200cl14 2x8 kit for my 2600x.
It was highly rated to be optimized for the ryzen platform.

The Guys can help you more when it comes to the ram by starting a new thread for the ram.
The 1 issue that still remains with amd is the 2 channel memory controller when all four slots are populated it can be a pain in the *** to get configured.
Seeing how your running a 1600af I don't know too much about that cpu but
The 1st gens had a memory controller rated to 2666mhz.
So when all slots are populated it defaults the ram to the memory controller speed.
Trying to Run over that and the hair pulling...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The header you have indicated is the CPU_OPT one; next to it is the CPU_FAN. Either of those would be correct. Crosslhs82x2 above has good points - your story suggests that the Pump is not running and you need to check for that. An AIO system like that can provide limited cooling that is sufficient for low loads and idling, but cannot keep your CPU cooled without having the pump working.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The hoses in an aio that's large enough for the cpu under normal operation are only @ 2-3°C different and the h100i series is big enough to handle upto a i9 9900k at default settings.

The cpu_fan error on a variable speed pump isn't that uncommon when running software settings. They don't get loaded at boot/bios, the settings get loaded at windows start. Sometimes the settings get saved into cmos and stuck there, so at boot you get a 50% load but pump/fans stuck at a 10% idle from the prior shutdown. The cpu sees this as rpm way too low, so kicks the warning.

If your pump curve is manually set in iCue, raise the minimum speeds. If it's auto set by use of silent mode or similar, set it manually. It's not going to hurt to just set the pump to run 100% permanently. In bios, disable any qfan for cpu and set minimum duty cycle at 100

The single wire with the 3pin fan plug is only a tach / or sense wire for pump rpm only.
On my asus rog strix x470 with a h110i plugged into the cpu header it gave the cpu error and would not show the pump rpm.
So setting cpu header to ignore and switching to another header then showed the pump rpm and all is fine.

When Icue and Corsair Link 4 are install
Icue runs the pump/fans speeds rendering CL4 really useless but Cl4 works perfectly fine without Icue installed on mine.

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
The header you have indicated is the CPU_OPT one; next to it is the CPU_FAN. Either of those would be correct. Crosslhs82x2 above has good points - your story suggests that the Pump is not running and you need to check for that. An AIO system like that can provide limited cooling that is sufficient for low loads and idling, but cannopt keep your CPU cooled without having the pump working.
I tried all 3 on the top and I still got the same error. I can try it again but I rand through several boots with them plugged into each one.

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
The single wire with the 3pin fan plug is only a tach / or sense wire for pump rpm only.
On my asus rog strix x470 with a h110i plugged into the cpu header it gave the cpu error and would not show the pump rpm.
So setting cpu header to ignore and switching to another header then showed the pump rpm and all is fine.

When Icue and Corsair Link 4 are install
Icue runs the pump/fans speeds rendering CL4 really useless but Cl4 works perfectly fine without Icue installed on mine.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/mAXxv4Q

At Idle with side panel off, no oc to a r5 1600af and with 3 120mm fans blowing over it, The fans on the rad are around 1440 to 1500 rpm, the pump in 1770 rpm and Temp was just under 30c

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
The hoses in an aio that's large enough for the cpu under normal operation are only @ 2-3°C different and the h100i series is big enough to handle upto a i9 9900k at default settings.

The cpu_fan error on a variable speed pump isn't that uncommon when running software settings. They don't get loaded at boot/bios, the settings get loaded at windows start. Sometimes the settings get saved into cmos and stuck there, so at boot you get a 50% load but pump/fans stuck at a 10% idle from the prior shutdown. The cpu sees this as rpm way too low, so kicks the warning.

If your pump curve is manually set in iCue, raise the minimum speeds. If it's auto set by use of silent mode or similar, set it manually. It's not going to hurt to just set the pump to run 100% permanently. In bios, disable any qfan for cpu and set minimum duty cycle at 100
Ok im going to try that in the morning but I did set it to run on the extreme mode but ill set things manualy.

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
Thank you guy for responding! Im gonna test things out in the morning and sorry for replying much later I just went to sleep due to frustration with my whole system giving me as many possible things to go wrong with. BTW does anyone know how to oc ryzen and enable my RAM to go at the rated speed? My ram is a bit before RYZEN's time so there was just a XMP profile but this isnt a intel board. My ram was the GSKILL 3000MHZ kit Cas 15, *GB per dim(I have 4). I tried running it to its full 3000 at 1.35V and it doest like it, triend it at 1.375V dident like it either. Tried it at 2800, likes it but it feels slower then base 2133 if that makes any sense?

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020

I tried to set the pump curve manualy but I cant then i tried the extreme setting and that dose not do it either.

There is a fan curve that can be configured but There is No curve for the pump speeds.
Most likely quite/ extreme for Icue
And quite/perfomce as on my h110i using CL4.
1700 rpm seems low and extreme/performance should be 2700 plus
No matter which program you use.

Have you tried uninstalling both programs and reinstalling 1 or the other Not both
And checking if the pump speed increases?

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
There is a fan curve that can be configured but There is No curve for the pump speeds.
Most likely quite/ extreme for Icue
And quite/perfomce as on my h110i using CL4.
1700 rpm seems low and extreme/performance should be 2700 plus
No matter which program you use.

Have you tried uninstalling both programs and reinstalling 1 or the other Not both
And checking if the pump speed increases?
I tried Uninstaller and reinstalling but I was having this issue before I even installed the drivers for it

Ok still good on 5yr warranty.
The pump speed on extreme Icue / Cl4 performance should be above 2700 to 3000 max rpm.

If you can't get it to go to those rpm's then it could be a software conflict or the pump could be starting to so signs of pump failure.

As stated earlier with those softwares it's 1 or the other.
I have noticed better speeds using CL4.

When I upgraded from a fx system to a ryzen system on the first boot up I was meet with the very same error.
And set bios to ignore and hooked the sense wire to the pump header, now the pump rpms read in bios, CL4 and hwinfo64.

Any fan hooked to the cpu fan header will make the mobo think there is a cpu fan there, but you will have to manually set a rpm for that header or the fan will ramp up /down based on the cpu temp.

So the cpu fan error is normal.
The 1700 only rpm is not.
If removing the software from the original installer which should ask about the config files and only using 1 software for control doesn't get the pump control to raise the pump speed I suggest contacting corsair tech support.

Reactions: Petepp69

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
Ok still good on 5yr warranty.
The pump speed on extreme Icue / Cl4 performance should be above 2700 to 3000 max rpm.

If you can't get it to go to those rpm's then it could be a software conflict or the pump could be starting to so signs of pump failure.

As stated earlier with those softwares it's 1 or the other.
I have noticed better speeds using CL4.

When I upgraded from a fx system to a ryzen system on the first boot up I was meet with the very same error.
And set bios to ignore and hooked the sense wire to the pump header, now the pump rpms read in bios, CL4 and hwinfo64.

Any fan hooked to the cpu fan header will make the mobo think there is a cpu fan there, but you will have to manually set a rpm for that header or the fan will ramp up /down based on the cpu temp.

So the cpu fan error is normal.
The 1700 only rpm is not.
If removing the software from the original installer which should ask about the config files and only using 1 software for control doesn't get the pump control to raise the pump speed I suggest contacting corsair tech support.
Ok turns out I did not have corsair link 4. I downloaded icue and every time I went to get cl4 i got icue instead? Im gonna fiddle with it later, Im still trying to the Sli issue im having and another thing is when you upgraded to ryzen you said you came from a fx series, so did you buy ram that was better suited for ryzen? I have a older kit of dims that i got a full year and a half before ryzen was even released and I dont think it likes running at its rated 3000 mhz at 1.35v. whays your ram setup?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
ICue replaced CL because CL was buggy and it was easier and more cost effective to write a new program from scratch that included rgb/argb control and all the other little gizmos and menus, than it was to try and fix CL and incorporate the new looks and stuff.

Ya unfortunately corsair didn't give enough options for the control over the cooler itself.

Yes the fx was ddr3 so yes.
I bought g.skill flare x 3200cl14 2x8 kit for my 2600x.
It was highly rated to be optimized for the ryzen platform.

The Guys can help you more when it comes to the ram by starting a new thread for the ram.
The 1 issue that still remains with amd is the 2 channel memory controller when all four slots are populated it can be a pain in the *** to get configured.
Seeing how your running a 1600af I don't know too much about that cpu but
The 1st gens had a memory controller rated to 2666mhz.
So when all slots are populated it defaults the ram to the memory controller speed.
Trying to Run over that and the hair pulling begins.

Try just 2x8 config in slots 2nd and 4th working right from the cpu till the guys can help you.

Solution