Nov 21, 2022
Heya, I’m having some issues with my 3080Ti (I think) and certain FPS games crashing, could my GPU be faulty?

I upgraded from an MSI GeForce GTX 1060 to an MSI Suprim X 3080Ti in January and haven’t been able to use it because it crashes my games. Games like Valorant, Fortnite, Hypercharge: Unboxed and Overwatch would put my CPU and GPU temperatures up to 85+ degrees and crash my PC, turning it off completely. My radiator would be super hot after the PC switched off, then I would have to turn my PSU off and on again in order to boot it up. Other games like League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics run with no issue. I’ve basically been using my 1060 all year because the 3080Ti just crashes whenever I try to play those FPS games.

I play Valorant the most out of all of these, and it’s the only one that comes up with an actual error message when the game crashes, but this could be after 5 minutes of playing or 2 hours of playing, it seems completely random. When it did crash though, the temps were always 85+ degrees. The error message I get is:
“Graphics driver crashed! Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Troubleshooting information: https://riot.com/38b2jJn
I always make sure my drivers are up to date, and immediately double check them anytime I get this message, so I’m sure it’s not that. I have tried all of the solutions on this page, even completely reinstalling Windows, and nothing has changed.

I had a PC shop put all of my parts into a new case, the Fractal Meshify 2, for better airflow. They cleaned all the parts and stress tested the GPU as I’d mentioned the heating issues, but didn’t find anything wrong. I upgraded my PSU from 750W to 1000W as I thought the old one may have been experiencing transient spikes that were shutting down my PC. I had it put in by a PC builder from Airtasker since I didn’t trust myself to do it right. I mentioned the heating issues to him as well and he noted that the PC shop I had taken it to had installed my CPU cooling fans wrong so fixed that and then changed some Bios settings. After this, the games still crashed and the radiator still got hot, but didn’t shut off my PC, which I saw as an improvement, but eventually I ended up putting my 1060 back in.

I just replaced the thermal paste and have seen an improvement in temperatures, but unfortunately it hasn’t stopped the crashing. When the games do crash though, the temperatures don’t spike to 85+ degrees anymore, so I’m even more confused about what the issue could be now. I’ve also tried putting my boyfriend’s 3080 in my PC and the games ran fine, so I feel like everything is pointing to it being my GPU. I do have suspicions it could be my CPU cooling since the radiator gets so hot, but I really have no idea if that's normal or not.

I’m not a computer savvy person, so I’m hoping to see if anyone knows of anything else I should try or if this does sound like the GPU is faulty. Additionally, if it was faulty, how would I go about getting the supplier to test this aspect of the GPU since it can sometimes take hours before a game crashes and the PC shop’s stress test didn’t indicate anything was wrong? I've been told by multiple people that with my parts, this PC should be a powerhouse and able to run aything, so I'm just so so confused. Sorry for the long post, please feel free to ask any questions, I really appreciate any help!

Parts list:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Cooling: Deepcool Castle 240 RGB V2 (2 radiator fans, facing out top of case)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16GB x 2
GPU: MSI Suprim X 3080ti
Fans: NZXT AER RGB 120mm x 4 (3 front of case, 1 back of case)
Case: Fractal Meshify 2