[SOLVED] Could not format USB pendrive - Write protected ?

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I have a 16GB HP pendrive which I was using in my samsung TV. The pendrive is now working only in that TV and It is not working in my PC. The USB is detected and it shows in "This PC" . But when i try to format it, it says write protected. I also found that it is in RAW file system. Tried the following methods and none of them worked.

1. Using CMD (diskpart)
  2. Using softwares ( Eassos partition master, eassos write protection Disabler)
  3. Editing registry
  4. Booting into Gparted Live (linux)

Everything shows the same "Disk is write protected"
Please provide a solution for this problem !

Ok try this. See if this works for you.
Open a command prompt
type DISKPART press <enter>
type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from.
type ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
type EXIT press <enter>

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Ok try this. See if this works for you.
Open a command prompt
type DISKPART press <enter>
type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from.
type ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
type EXIT press <enter>
When i typed ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY and pressed enter it showed disk attributes cleared and not any prompt saying write protection removed.
Then tried to format! Still says Disk is write protected

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
ok go here and download USB FORMAT TOOL UFIXII https://www.pny.com.tw/en/support-detail/usb-flash-drives/ See if it will clear the write protect.
I tried UFIXII and UFIXV but the softwares aren't showing any drives in the selection list.
The problem is I can't even open and view the contents of the USB drive, when I try to open it it asks for format and then says write protected.
Link for screenshots :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1QQqSn1i8VRAtgAEt1nMLod1A7BMWlYGR

Ok try this
1. Click "Start", type: Regedit in the search box, click "Regedit.exe" to open the Registry editor when you see it is displayed at the top of the list.
2. Then navigate to the following key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
3. Double-click on the "WriteProtect" value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe.
4. Change the "Value" data from "1" to "0" and click "OK" to save the change.
5. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Ok try this
1. Click "Start", type: Regedit in the search box, click "Regedit.exe" to open the Registry editor when you see it is displayed at the top of the list.
2. Then navigate to the following key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
3. Double-click on the "WriteProtect" value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe.
4. Change the "Value" data from "1" to "0" and click "OK" to save the change.
5. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected
I already mentioned that it didn't work. 3rd point in 1st message.
Maybe its non repairable 😔😔😔

TRENDING THREADS