[SOLVED] CPU always on max frequency (even when idle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmKazuma

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
I noticed a few days ago through ThrottleStop that my CPU (i5 9300h) was always on max frequency (~4Ghz) which is causing some heat issue on idle.
Windows power plan is set to balanced, and Intel SpeedStep seems to be activated. Other than that, the CPU usage usually varies between 5-15% on idle so there doesn't seem to be anything running in the background causing it to actually run at such high frequency.
I also noticed that the System process from windows 10 was sometime using the GPU 1 (RTX 2060) but i don't know why, nor do i know how to stop it.

The laptop i'm using is an Acer V NITRO AN517-51-57TK.

Solution
I found what was causing the issue, it was the Nvidia Display Container service, I just disabled it (which means i can't access Nvidia Control Panel without manually launching the service.) and the processor now correctly goes back to 1-5% usage at 1.2Ghz when idling.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Speed Shift enabled? Read more here. Can you check and see what OS version you're on at the time of writing? You might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending(do mention what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing). Don't worry about Plundervolt nerfing hitting you, since you're on ThrottleStop you can circumvent that. On a side note, can you parse what your guide for using ThrottleStop was/is?

AmKazuma

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Speed Shift enabled? Read more here. Can you check and see what OS version you're on at the time of writing? You might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending(do mention what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing). Don't worry about Plundervolt nerfing hitting you, since you're on ThrottleStop you can circumvent that. On a side note, can you parse what your guide for using ThrottleStop was/is?

Speed Shift is currently disabled, i tried to enable it, but the way it works is pretty weird.

I'm running windows 10 20H2, with build 19042.1110. Just updated the BIOS but that changed nothing (i believe it's bios 1.33 which can be found here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7966?b=1).

I didn't use any guide for throttlestop since i just wanted to undervolt the CPU, it's basically the only thing i changed in there.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I noticed a few days ago through ThrottleStop that my CPU (i5 9300h) was always on max frequency (~4Ghz) which is causing some heat issue on idle.
Windows power plan is set to balanced, and Intel SpeedStep seems to be activated. Other than that, the CPU usage usually varies between 5-15% on idle so there doesn't seem to be anything running in the background causing it to actually run at such high frequency.
I also noticed that the System process from windows 10 was sometime using the GPU 1 (RTX 2060) but i don't know why, nor do i know how to stop it.

The laptop i'm using is an Acer V NITRO AN517-51-57TK.
That's completely fine. What is the CPU temperature? Use software like HWMonitor to see it.

AmKazuma

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
That's completely fine. What is the CPU temperature? Use software like HWMonitor to see it.

It's "fine" as it doesn't impact the performances, but a temperature of about 60-70°C in idle is still pretty annoying, could also reduce the lifespan of the CPU if it stays at max frequency all the time I guess.

@AmKazuma - Does ThrottleStop show SST in green on the main screen. That indicates that Speed Shift is enabled. Most computers enable Speed Shift automatically in the BIOS and it cannot be disabled when you are in Windows.

If Speed Shift is enabled, have a look in the FIVR monitoring table to see what Speed Shift EPP value the CPU is using. An EPP value of 0 tells the CPU to use maximum speed regardless of load.

5-15% on idle
Intel CPUs are engineered so they do not slow down if they have a task to perform. That is way too much load for a computer that is supposed to be idle. Check the Task Manager Details tab to see what is running on your computer.

If a computer is using the Windows Balanced power plan and it is idle, it should slow down. Most computers are not really idle.

R6BnHbj.png

Also check the C state activity. Idle CPUs have cores that are spending 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. Are you a long ways from that?

DFqazU7.png

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
It's "fine" as it doesn't impact the performances, but a temperature of about 60-70°C in idle is still pretty annoying, could also reduce the lifespan of the CPU if it stays at max frequency all the time I guess.
Thats what I wanted to know. That temp on no load is not normal.

Now, to reduce the CPU frequency, you have to change the power plan settings. In the plan settings, look for "Minimum processor state" and out it to 0%. Then it will not run at full speed all the time.

This is not really a problem for every user. My i5 runs at 3.6 GHZ all the time and the temp doesn't cross 55. It stays on 38 in idle.

AmKazuma

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
@AmKazuma - Does ThrottleStop show SST in green on the main screen. That indicates that Speed Shift is enabled. Most computers enable Speed Shift automatically in the BIOS and it cannot be disabled when you are in Windows.

If Speed Shift is enabled, have a look in the FIVR monitoring table to see what Speed Shift EPP value the CPU is using. An EPP value of 0 tells the CPU to use maximum speed regardless of load.

Intel CPUs are engineered so they do not slow down if they have a task to perform. That is way too much load for a computer that is supposed to be idle. Check the Task Manager Details tab to see what is running on your computer.

If a computer is using the Windows Balanced power plan and it is idle, it should slow down. Most computers are not really idle.

R6BnHbj.png

Also check the C state activity. Idle CPUs have cores that are spending 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. Are you a long ways from that?

DFqazU7.png

SpeedShift indeed seems to be enabled even if not checked in TS. Value is 84. I searched in BIOS but it seems like there is no option to turn it off, is there another way to disable it ?

For the 5-15% CPU usage, it's mostly used by the System process, which is also using "GPU 1 - Copy" for a few seconds every 20 seconds or so.
unknown.png

Also, here's what the C state activity looks like
unknown.png

there is no option to turn it off, is there another way to disable it ?
If there is no option in the BIOS to disable Speed Shift then it cannot be disabled.

My computer shows the CPU cores spending an average of 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. When Windows is idle, my cores are idle.

Your C state data shows an average of 75% in the C7 state. That means three quarters of your cores are idle and one of your four cores is not. If a core is always active, the CPU has no reason to slow down.

Speed Shift is not the problem. It is doing what it is supposed to do. It is running your CPU at full speed so it can process the background tasks as efficiently as possible. The problem is your background tasks. My computer does not have System taking up 14.1% of the CPU. Keep an eye on that. You might have a bad driver that is stuck in an endless loop, loading your CPU but not accomplishing anything.

08Wos6z.png

Reactions: AmKazuma

AmKazuma

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
If there is no option in the BIOS to disable Speed Shift then it cannot be disabled.

My computer shows the CPU cores spending an average of 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. When Windows is idle, my cores are idle.

Your C state data shows an average of 75% in the C7 state. That means three quarters of your cores are idle and one of your four cores is not. If a core is always active, the CPU has no reason to slow down.

Speed Shift is not the problem. It is doing what it is supposed to do. It is running your CPU at full speed so it can process the background tasks as efficiently as possible. The problem is your background tasks. My computer does not have System taking up 14.1% of the CPU. Keep an eye on that. You might have a bad driver that is stuck in an endless loop, loading your CPU but not accomplishing anything.

08Wos6z.png

Maybe, but how would i know which driver then ?

AmKazuma

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
I found what was causing the issue, it was the Nvidia Display Container service, I just disabled it (which means i can't access Nvidia Control Panel without manually launching the service.) and the processor now correctly goes back to 1-5% usage at 1.2Ghz when idling.

Reactions: uWebb429
Solution
Aug 14, 2022
(Asus g14 rtx 2060 2020 +amd integratedgraphics +16 gb total ram)So as you said i uninstalled the nvidia graphics and its control panel and guess what ,i got temp dropped from constant temp of 60c above to 45 c,thats enormous 15 degree temp decreased ,i am hating nvidia.before just surfing google it cranked the temp to 70 c now its 60c
Ps.workload(starcraft 2 )still taking turbo mode to cooldown ,hitting 80 c in medium graphics.as far i remember when laptop was new it worked perfect in silent mode around 70 c.i hope its not another graphics or processor problem instead of dust or old age problem.
Thanks idle problem solved!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.